We're a Wierd Mob!

Reports from Australia
gregga41
RRF Consultant

We're a Wierd Mob!

Post by gregga41 »

To loosely parody the 1966 Australian movie,..."They're a Wierd Mob" was a film that was able to show Australians how we were viewed by the world, and as in this particular circumstance, a migrating worker! Have a look on youtube, as there are a few scenes that will make you laugh!
This film was made over 40 years ago and was very thought-provoking then!

So..., how are Australians regarded in the international community, how do you see us, and how do we see ourselves? What myths about the "Aussie" have you heard,and do you believe them?
Planning is underway for the BIG 2010 Melbourne Ric-Confluence,just maybe what you learn here ,or from Aussie forumites you have met, will make want to be here in 2010......or sooner!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: We're a Wierd Mob!

Post by jdogric12 »

I have a passing fascination with all things Australian (and NZ while we're at it) and am looking forward to this thread developing. Just last night after a gig some bandmates and friends and I were having a discussion about what it would be like to move to NZ, and realized we had many more questions than knowledge!!!

I think a common misconception about the Australian people (at least in the USA) is that they are descended from criminals. How true or false this is, I honestly don't know, since familiarity with non-USA cultures is extremely low here. I remember learning in school that when the USA was a mere 13 colonies, they sent all their criminals to Georgia (the USA state, not the Asian nation currently in the news). So maybe there is some similarly antiquated fact that's been twisted into an ugly gross generalization, again, I don't know.

Obviously, the Australian forumites I've met in person and dealt with on here have been excellent ambassadors, and further fueled my interest in what's down under.

Edit: And I plan on going in 2010 with everybody.

Edit 2: And on the Aussies and Kiwis, don't forget, the extent of most Americans' knowledge comes from Crocodile Dundee, Outback Steakhouse, the Crocodile Hunter (RIP) and more recently, Flight of the Conchords.
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

Hi Jason :D

Australia was founded by the British as a penal colony to relieve the overcrowding in their prison system and to get rid of people they basically didn't want. Stealing a loaf of bread for example would get you around seven years if you were lucky enough to live that long. Age was no barrier either, as many children were sent here to do their time.

There were quite a few free settlers though who came out on the First Fleet and over the years to try and make a new life. When you think about it thats a big call, taking up to six months in a leaky boat to travel 12000 miles to a place you know nothing about in the hope you can improve your lot in life. ( Sounds a bit like the Pilgrims actually !!!) I don't think anyone worries too much if their heritage is that of a convict or free settler, but the fact that we are largely descended from the "scum" of British society may explain some of our characteristics !!!!

Conditions were harsh and the guards brutal, particularly at places like Port Arthur and Norfolk Island. Many convicts also stayed on after doing their time and contributed to the countries development. The only downside to the whole thing was the treatment of the indigenous people who were essentially just swept aside: the issues are still being addressed today.

As far as I am aware my ancestors came from Inverness in Scotland and travelled here as free settlers around 1850. I really should do some work on the family tree !!!!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

My ancestors came out as free settlers also..... my Great, Great, Great, Great (not sure how far back I need to go) Grandfather was a carpenter and he and his wife went to Hobart to build houses for the colony administrators as well as pardoned prisoners and those who had 'done their time'.

Also there were massive immigration programs after both the First and Second World Wars, so we have an extremely diverse population. A lot of Germans arrived after the First World War and after the Second World War many Italians and Greeks made the move. Immigration is still quite high and many people have been admitted after escaping oppression in Europe and more recently, Africa.

During the 50s and 60s the Government of the day introduced the 'assisted passage' scheme to encourage immigration from the UK. It only cost ten pounds per person to come and many took the opportunity. People still occasionally use the expression 'ten dollar Pom' when referring to those who arrived from England - although prior to 1966 they were called 'ten quid Poms'.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

It only cost ten pounds per person to come and many took the opportunity. People still occasionally use the expression 'ten dollar Pom' when referring to those who arrived from England - although prior to 1966 they were called 'ten quid Poms'.
I'm surprised Graham didn't take up the offer. He's usually pretty quick when it comes to inexpensive deals like that. :wink:

As I understand colonial history, South Australia did not utilise convict labour - the only "free settler" state. Of course, being South Australian myself, and with the best of British lineage courtesy of my late grand-dad, I'm fairly confident that there's no convict heritage in my family. :mrgreen:
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

The Aussies? They're a bunch of beer drinkers!
:wink:
(Not that that's bad, mind you...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I think Australians are some of the best people on earth...and most well traveled; I don't think one can go anywhere on the planet, except maybe North Korea or someplace like that, without bumping into an Australian. They're the salt of the earth, tough, genuine, hard working, friendly, good-spirited people, and know how to enjoy life. My buddy Meatball summed it up by saying, "Australians are the best; hard working, friendly, genuine. Americans used to be like them, about 50 years ago before we got spoiled and lazy".
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

a common misconception about the Australian people (at least in the USA) is that they are descended from criminals.
Yes, the favorite taunt.
Most of us are descendents of or were free settlers. Being a descendent of a first fleeter is like being royalty tho.

We have a lot of visitors from the US through the company I work for. Usually we have a BBQ lunch for them the last day they're here. This is when I wheel out the vegemite and make them eat it.

"Mum says eat yer vegemite"

One guy stayed a week and ate a 2kg tin of milo. We gave him one to take home!
chai-man

Post by chai-man »

As an expat Kiwi I don't want to hijack an Oz thread, but as a part-Oz I feel I can (2 great parents born there, one in Ballarat, the other Rockhampton; mother-in-law Australian, brother long time Sydney resident, and me a frequent visitor).

Here's a bit of Kiwi Rickenbacker action with the Swingers circa 1979 with the excellent "One good reason" - spot unsung genius Phil Judd (ex-Split Enz) toting that white RM 335! Their best song, though they're better know for their #1 1981 Australasian hit "Counting the beat".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyvpilfGrdc

A further Australian connection - which world famous Australian band did the Swingers' bass player end up in?

Weird, guys!
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

chai-man, thanks for posting that Youtube clip of The Swingers....I've not seen that one before. The bass player would be "Bones" Hillman of Midnight Oil fame. :D

By the way, what does the "s" stand for?

The Split Enz boys seemed to have their fair share of Rickenbackers. I wouldn't mind knowing where the Neil Finn's F body ended up, or the RM 1999 bass for that matter! :-

'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
chai-man

Post by chai-man »

Bones it certainly is. I have recollections of clocking him striding down the Sydney streets one Christmas some years back. Newtown, I think it was. I don't think I've seen Neil Finn ever again with a Rick. S is for simon.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

You even spell "weird" weird...
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

Darren,

your post got me going. I never ever new about this bass! or the F...

There's a better close up of it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3v_AFJ ... re=related

So far I'm sure it's not mine but could it be yours?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No horseshoes on the RM1999 in that vid! :shock:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

What great info! This is really neat guys, thanks, and keep it comin'!

Return to “Australian Chapter: by Greg Rahilly”