Old times - Soviet press about the Beatles. Just for fun

Reports from the Russian Federation
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Old times - Soviet press about the Beatles. Just for fun

Post by sowhat »

Here's the picture — abstract from some newspaper. I've found it via livejournal mates, it has no beginning and no end, the article is from "International Feuilleton" ("Международный фельетон") column, the newspaper could be "Comsomol'skaya pravda" or "Literaturnaya gazeta" (nobody's sure), the year is — i dunno, not sure, but my guess will be around 1964-65 or so (information source — a lj article, in Russian). A real rarity!
And here's a translation of sorts. My short comments in Italic.

On life of "bees" and coprophagous "beetles"
Here, the life of a "bee" is described, but i haven't found the text anywhere. — SC
And now about the "beetles"
Who are they, those misterious "beetles" whose popularity is simply fantastic? - the reader would ask. Unfortunately, it's only an English pop group "The Beatles", consisting of four people — George Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Ringo Starr. Three with guitars, one drummer, and all the four... just escaped saying "sing"! It's hard to imagine what sounds these young men produce to their own accompaniment, what's the meaning of their "opuses". Enough to say that one of their compositions is called "Get out of here, Beethoven" [means "Roll over Beethoven", of course].
When "Beatles" release their twisting shouts, young people start shrieking of delight, stomping their feet and whistling. Thousands of American teenagers are so obstinate in howling along to their idols that we can barely hear the latter and amplifiers don't help. Fan girls from the pit twitch so much to the rhythm of twist that often faint and fall off their seats.
The "beetles" have 12 servants — "bees", five of which are responsible for correspondence. There's a "camera bee", there's a publishing issuing a monthly magazine called "Beatles"...
Poor naive "beetles"! Maybe you are quite sure that all this — fame, megabuck, screams and shrieks of fans, visits to kings — is forever and deserved. But i bet you'd be on top for another year or a year and a half and then other young men with even more ridiculous haircuts and wilder voices will take your place, and everything will be over!
And you'll find it hard to find a temporary job in small suburbian bars or you'll have to be the "bees" for the new "beetles"...
And as for Beethoven, the one you ask to "roll over" so insistently in your song, i think we shouldn't worry about him.
PS: in case you've noticed, dear reader, i've added "coprophagous" to the word "beetles" in the header, but i think you won't blame it on me. Moreover, we had given you a short explanation.
Nikita Bogoslovsky [famous Soviet composer - SC]

Below the picture: "Beetles" came to the US. A caricature from New York Herald Tribune.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Old times - Soviet press about the Beatles. Just for fun

Post by admin »

Sheena: This is just excellent and offers a "Russian" interpretation of the Fab Four. I really appreciate the translation. Just imagine how intrigued young teens in Russia might have felt reading this article. It would make me what to see them very much.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

admin wrote:Just imagine how intrigued young teens in Russia might have felt reading this article. It would make me what to see them very much.
Yes, indeed. :wink: By the way, rumour has it: when the author of the article was (much later) asked if it was a "paid" or a planted article, he answered, "no, but maybe i was drunk when i was writing it".
And i'd rather say, "official Soviet interpretation". Some "average listeners" did share this point of view, though. As i've told quite a while before in some other thread, i had a classmate who told me the Beatles sounded like cats meowing and who later on became the biggest Beatles fan in class.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

Sheena, thanks for posting

I like watching the DVD of Paul McCartney playing in Red Square...It contains a lot of interviews and tells al lot about how The Beatles and rock and roll in general was "considered" by the Soviet establishment in the 60
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I love his predictions on the fates of the "poor naive beetles" :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
string_along

Post by string_along »

Pretty cool to read, sheena. Thanx for sharing! :)

Skip

Return to “Russian Federation Chapter: by Sheena Colvin”