How Did You Find Your First Rickenbacker?

Reports from Sweden
admin
Site Admin

How Did You Find Your First Rickenbacker?

Post by admin »

Bjorn: I understand that Rickenbackers are hard to find in Sweden. How did you find your first Rickenbacker? Was it already in Sweden?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickbeat
RRF Consultant

Re: How Did You Find Your First Rickenbacker?

Post by rickbeat »

My first Rickenbacker was owned by a local musician who wanted to play bass instead of guitar. He needed money for purchasing a Fender J-bass and I bought his Rickenbacker. I was playing Beatles covers and thought it would be great to have a typical Beatles guitar.

Rickenbackers are not very common in Sweden but a bunch of Rose, Morris Export versions made it here in the 60's.
Today you can order almost any model. Just be aware of that it may be a long time before the instrument arrives.

Finding a used Rickenbacker in a Swedish music shop is almost impossible. People sell/buy their Ricks from classified ads or auctions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bjorn: Nice Avatar. You look like a rock star. :)

How many other musicians have you met from Sweden that also play a Rickenbacker?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickyvox

Post by rickyvox »

Hi, Bjorn and Peter

On this topic, I met some months ago a spanish bassist that usually plays now with Paul Collins. He's using now what he told me it's a 70's 4001 jetglo, just purchased in Sweden recently... you can see a pic of that bass here
rickbeat
RRF Consultant

Post by rickbeat »

admin wrote:Bjorn: Nice Avatar. You look like a rock star. :)

How many other musicians have you met from Sweden that also play a Rickenbacker?
I don't know how many I've met. It's not very common to run into Rickenbacker guitar or bass players. You seldom find used Rickenbackers in music stores either. Sometimes they show up in classified ads. If I had a way of doing it, I'd try to reach all Rickenbacker owners in Sweden. It would be great to make a data base with Swedish Rickenbackers. Maybe there is a way to do this? We'll see....
jayen_aitch

Post by jayen_aitch »

Hej.

Hoppas allt är bra med dig.

Vi ska flytta till Stockholm om två år, och jag har en Ric 4003, så snart kommer en till.

I'll switch to English now for the benefit of all.

When I was looking into where I should buy a bass, one thing I tried was comparing the prices in other countries.

It made me think that you could do something like the ipod index, which measures economy by the differences in price between countries using the cost of an ipod, with Rickenbackers... maybe an interesting forum project.

But yes, being as we visit my wife's family in Sweden a few times a year, I did wonder if it might be cheaper to buy over in Stockholm and bring it back to the UK.

The answer was nooooooo.....

While £1,500-£1,700 (US$ 2,465-2,794 or SEK 17,500-19,800) seems the price of a new Ric 4003 over here (although my local Ric dealer in Hull suggested £1800).

The Swedish distributor Luthman, listed on the Rickenbacker website, suggests SEK 23,495 (US$ 3314 or £2016.)

Ouch, no wonder there seem to be fewer people playing Rics in Sweden.

Ouch.

Suffice to say I got one shipped from the states.

Return to “Swedish Chapter: by Bjorn Eriksson”