Debating The Issues, Not Character

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
admin
Site Admin

Debating The Issues, Not Character

Post by admin »

Those who are visiting the RickResource Forum may not realize that harsh and insensitive comments directed at the character of other posters is unacceptable here.

So too are comments directed at persons on different boards and should be taken to the board in which the original posting was made, not this one.

Please think twice and type once and then review or comments for edit before posting. If you think that the manner in which you have phrased your position may be problematic, it probably is. Remember, you can always add more to your posts, but it is more difficult to take comments back later.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Debating The Issues, Not Character

Post by kiramdear »

Here's a very common sense list of guidelines, which I hadn't seen before, for keeping the RRF a pleasant place to visit.

Rule #1: Remember the Human. One can't go wrong keeping that in mind.

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html

Thank you, Peter. I was looking for an opportunity to bring this up.
All I wanna do is rock!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Good point, Peter. Occasional reminders like this are definitely beneficial.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A fine list, Kira. I thank you for the link.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
scotty

Post by scotty »

Great points Peter! thanks
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Many books about children psychology advise: "Judge actions, not the personality". Proverb originating from the Bible has it, "do unto others as you would be done by". Seems pretty obvious?
On the other hand, this is a big forum with quite a long history, and some members are friends and they may be just having fun or pulling each other's legs, which, from the point of a newcomer not familiar with the background, may look as if they were flaming at each other.
You are absolutely right, Peter. Once spoken, a rude word is hard to be taken back and may leave bruises and scars. Remember the tale of the nails in the fence? And wounds & bruises in the soul sometimes take much more time to be healed than the physical ones.
Great list, Kira. Thanks for that.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Hmmm...in my own experience, sometimes character is the issue, but, yeah, this is hard to disagree with. Thanks, Peter, for the reminder.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Less than 10% of human communication is verbal. Words alone are often inadequate to convey our precise intentions; misunderstandings often happen on forum. It's important to safeguard our meanings and to present them in a non-confrontational manner. This is beside any ESL issues one might encounter in an international arena.
All I wanna do is rock!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Sometimes character is the issue — true, but, on the other hand... when we're speaking invectives to a person that we consider to be bad, rude, etc, assuming it's the only language they understand, that's we being rude, and that doesn't make them better, it only does make us worse for a while. Imho, of course.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Right, Sheena, you can't fight that kind of fire with fire, only with the cool mist of positivity. Then you give them a chance to reconsider their position and progress is possible. Many people will retract their harsh words when given a chance.
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”