A Rut

Putting music theory into practice
Scastles

A Rut

Post by Scastles »

Recently I feel like my playing has fallen into a rut. No real progession in the creative process or expansion in my playing. The only thing I could compare it to would be writers block. Just a bunch of blank pages, but the pages are my guitars. I'm a mediocre player, self taught and no whiz at reading music. Any ideas of what I could or should do? Maybe it's just my perception of things right now, or maybe I'm pressing.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: A Rut

Post by kiramdear »

Do some musical calisthenics to get your blood going again, Stan.

Get that chord book from the favorite album you've always wished you'd learned, and learn some new old songs. I watch a lot of music videos on youtube to try to cop the hand positions for the parts I want to learn. As long as you keep bringing fresh new material into your repertoire, even if it's old songs, you'll keep the hinges oiled. A friend of mine says everybody should know 200 cover songs before they hit the stage.
If you can find some buddies to fool around with that's always a fun way to keep your chops up, but a good playing partner is hard to find.
Do some recording, even low-fi, of yourself and listen closely to it. Try to improve the parts you already know and to invent the new ones that you want to hear as you listen to yourself.
Any excuse you can think of to keep your hands on your guitar is a good one.
Maybe just get out of your normal routine for an afternoon, go somewhere for no reason, strum a little, and listen to the echoes in your head.

All these things work for me :D
All I wanna do is rock!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stan: I would have three suggestions.

First, I would find a couple of other players with similar interests which often times pushes the envelope.

Second, I would consider another genre outside of the one with which you are most familiar. This forces new learning and makes demands on brain circuits less travelled.

Third, make a commitment, no matter how small to perform at a function in the near future and work on a few songs for this event. Open mikes, friends' parties, charity events and the like.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hi Stan.

I find myself in the same situation from time to time. I tend to go back to a song that I had previously put in the 'too hard basket' and have another crack at it. Most times I've put it there because the chords and/or progressions were too difficult, I couldn't hit the strings in the right order or I was unable to find a strumming pattern that suited the song.

Other times I might tackle a song that I like but haven't tried before.

While I was on my US trip recently my band decided that they wanted to include The Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" in the set list. More than a year ago I decided that it was a bit beyond my capabilities so I passed it by but I felt I had to at least have another go at it for the band's sake. I only had a couple of hours to work on it before our first rehearsal but the guys felt there was enough there to continue with it.

I've been working on it for the last two weeks and I believe I've pretty much mastered it - including hitting that E7b9 in both the open position and at the 7th fret without stuffing it up.

I can't wait for band practice tomorrow...... hopefully they'll be impressed!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The bottom line is that achieving something like that gives me a whole new lease of life - musically - and spurs me on to take on other songs that I've left alone. The by-product of course is that it has improved my technique and general playing ability no end! :D

PS..... I'm self taught too!!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Stuck in a rut? As others have said, try learning a few new songs or a new playing style.... Or try playing the same songs on a different guitar.... Or get a new guitar altogether, and it might really surprise you! I got my Breedlove 12-string acoustic last spring, and it's been like falling in love--just the sound of that guitar has inspired me to write a whole bunch of new songs in recent months....it's almost like falling in love (which of course is another wonderful way to boost your creative energy levels, LOL!) :mrgreen:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Stan, I don't know whether it will help you, but I sometimes will pop on a capo somewhere on the fretboard and just play around to see whether something sounds 'interesting' ... it can often be a seed for further development.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Appreciate all the advice. Certainly food for thought. Part of my problem may arise from playing with the same folks for what seems eternity. While there is a great deal of commonality between us, we also differ equally in our tastes.
I think Aitch hit the button. It is striving to go beyond a comfort zone in my playing and reach out for more tunes I've often considered to be on the impossible side, or maybe the discipline side to go after them. Naturally, this takes more practice time which lately I haven't taken the time to do.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I really enjoyed all of the ideas expressed here.

Interestingly, one of the comments that I liked the most was one that you offered, Stan.
"playing with the same folks for what seems eternity."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Added note.

Melibee, I'd love nothing better than to buy a new guitar or two, three, but right now I think I still need to try and master the ones I own. :wink:
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

That's okay Stan, it might not work for everybody, LOL!

Gary's idea of using a capo was an excellent one, and reminded me of something else--I recently bought a Shubb partial capo that only covers three strings, and when it is set at the second fret covering the A, D, and G strings it emulates DADGAD tuning, but a whole step up. It sounds really cool, and has inspired me to write a couple of new songs.... You can try it playing songs you already know, and it will give them a whole different sound that is really interesting. I've found that it works well on both 6- and 12-string acoustics, and on my 6-string electrics, although the spacing on a Ric 12-string is a little bit too tight for it to work well....but it still can be done if you set the capo at an angle. Here's a link: http://www.shubb.com/partial/index.htm#c7b

My capo is the C7b.... I see they also makes one that emulates Drop-D tuning, which is another tuning you might want to try--I love playing in Drop-D, especially on my boomy-sounding Ric acoustic.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Find a chord progression for a song you have never heard. Then make up your own rhythm & melody to the progression. When you are finished, find a version of the original, listen to the song, compare and contrast.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Melibee, I agree. I tend to work the same old beaten path too often. I need to do more with my alternate tunings. I have in the past. I do a lot of work using the capo, but there's always more I could pick up.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Stan,

Also try recording new material. It works for me. Although sometimes it can be hard work keeping your bandmate (Aitch) awake. I have a pic around here somewhere of him nodding off during a particularly brutal mixing session.................... :mrgreen:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

You're right, Brian........ I should make use of every second in the studio with you. God know's it's hard enough to get a gig!! :mrgreen:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

winston wrote:Stan,

Also try recording new material. It works for me. Although sometimes it can be hard work keeping your bandmate (Aitch) awake. I have a pic around here somewhere of him nodding off during a particularly brutal mixing session.................... :mrgreen:
Brian, I'd kinda like to see that photo of Aitch labouring, ahem, while your mixing.
Attachments
homer-drool.gif
homer-drool.gif (6.33 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”