Please Don't Tease

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Please Don't Tease

Post by admin »

Listen to Hank Marvin around the 1:34 mark of this video of Cliff Richard singing Please Don't Tease. A great solo with his usual vibrato and echo unit. I also believe that the Shadows were playing the AC-30s very soon after they received them from Vox.

This song from 1960 would become the groups third number one and remained on the charts for 14 weeks. The song was composed by Bruce Welch and Peter Chester.

I often wondered how the Shadows felt playing in the darkness, with the exception of guitar solos, while Cliff took the spotlight.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Please Don't Tease

Post by kenposurf »

At the risk of immediate banishment :wink: I think the middle and end of the solo seemed rushed..though great tone and bar effect....I would guess in the shad or not the band was happy to have a good paying gig...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Man, it's really a shame that sound recording engineers had no notion of properly miking all of the instruments back then. Cool vid and recording nonetheless though.

Must have been a bit of a bummer for the band to be in the dark, but then 1960 was the day of the solo singer and the invisible backing band, rather than of a band as a unit with the singer as part of that unit, and each member having a stage persona, rather than just the singer having one. I suppose that's something else we can thank the Beatles, Stones, and Who for!
goran
RRF Consultant

Post by goran »

Hi

Just remembered I made a tab for this solo (or rather the solo from the record, a bit different). Tried to upload it but the
file extension .txt was not allowed????? nor .tab. Why is that??

BTW long time no see, have been quite busy at work for some time and at the moment I'm more into classical guitar than
Shadows music, but I've promised myself to start producing backings again in the near future.

Here's a link to the tab: http://goran.tangring.com/tabs/Please%2 ... 20tab2.txt
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

The default configuration was to forbid uploads of text files.
I changed that, here is your tab file:
Attachments
Please don't tease solo tab2.txt
Please don't tease solo tab2
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
So long and thanks for all the fish!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goran: It is very nice to see you posting again. I, for one, would like to see you around here more often. Your tab posting of the solo in Please Don't Tease is appreciated.

With regard to backing tracks, I would be thrilled if you would take on the great instrumental Storm Chaser. It is a very creative instrumental that moves along nicely. :)

Gil: Thanks for sorting out the technical difficulty and "making it so."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”