I am the worst bassist in Austin apparently!

Putting music theory into practice
phlemmy

I am the worst bassist in Austin apparently!

Post by phlemmy »

So we auditioned a drummer last weekend. We knew going into it that the guy was a little "off". He had a month to learn 3 songs and came to the audition unprepared then complained to the guitar player that he didn't really like the stuff and that it sounded dated. When he didn't get a callback, his panties got in a bunch and he sent the blast email.

Sure, Doug probably should have contacted him sooner. The guy wrote me an email and I didn't respond. I didn't like him from the moment I met him and definitely didn't like his attitude. We weren't impressed with his playing, had some timing issues and was just a bit of a tool.

he called Doug a trust fund baby. HAHAHAHA.

Enjoy the letter:
wow, im really dissapointed i havent heard a word from ya, so i thought i would drop a line. i aint mad, im glad really, but i thought i would share my thoughts with you about it. i dropped a line to your bass player a week or so ago, from which he never responded. kinda f****** rude aint it? well, i didnt think it went that bad, but i understand i guess. i know your a good guitar player but im looking for something a lot more creative and original. i do think its riduculously selfish for sean to not respond to my letter at all, he is a terrible bass player, no creativity or chops to speak of. im insulted by his lack of response really. i wont take any s*** from people who have no business playing music. i merely stated i had a good time jammin, he coulda said hey, me too or naw, you suck or whatever. his carpen tunnel that keeps him from drumming must also keep him from typing i guess. whatever, i don't treat people this way. i don't stand for being treated that way either.

we are all busy people, i took the time to drive all the way over and wait for some dude who cannot even say thanks... how typical... i have no time for b******* or trust fund babies. you already know this about me.

i gave you a shot because you seemed like a real person. i know you are busy, i have no problem with that. i also know it doesnt take two seconds to send an email saying thanks for coming, i will get back with you as soon as i can or no, its not gonna work. if somehow yall feel your beyond me, i don't get it. but i am too busy as well to tolerate this kind of b*******.

thanks for nothing. and don't bother... all your songs that i have heard sound the same anyway. i guess what im saying is if you were really any good, you wouldnt have any trouble finding players, i certainly don't. you obviously settled for that bass player! this town is filled to the brim, with people who appreciate others and the efforts they put forth.
good luck with yours!
Edited for language - JB
Scastles

Re: I am the worst bassist in Austin apparently!

Post by Scastles »

Sounds like a bunch of 'sour grapes' to me, Sean. Since, as I read it, he didn't hear from you, he decided to take retribution by being critical of your playing.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

ripping on my playing is fine, i've never touted myself as anything more than average; but to rip on Doug's playing? the guy is nothing short of an incredible guitarist.

it's hilarious.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

phlemmy wrote:ripping on my playing is fine, i've never touted myself as anything more than average; but to rip on Doug's playing? the guy is nothing short of an incredible guitarist.

it's hilarious.
I always get chuckles from stuff like that!

If he was so great he'd be in the band, let's put it that way!

I've been heckled live before, that's a fun one! At an open jam at that! I didn't remember the chord progression and someone yelled out "You need a piece of paper with the chords written down?"

I replied "I had one, but I taped it to the back of your girlfriends head to memorize it."

I'm sure Sean is a better bassist than he lets on! CLIPS!!!!
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

his previous band left him on the side of the road with his drums in canada. that says a lot.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

phlemmy wrote:So we auditioned a drummer last weekend. We knew going into it that the guy was a little "off".
Aren't all drummers?
:mrgreen: (ducks)
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

"I am the worst bassist in Austin apparently!"

I always assumed I was!
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

phlemmy wrote:his previous band left him on the side of the road with his drums in canada. that says a lot.
Well gee, I might know the guy! lol

Yeah, he sounds like a real success story
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

His English teacher would probably say the playing drums isn't his only weakness. :roll:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

WTH is a trust fund baby?
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

"Sour grapes" sounds about right to me. I wouldn't think anything of it. This guy is obviously not worth neither yours or Doug's time.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

believe me, i've been gettign a good laught out of it. any problem he has with doug or me is actually a problem he has with himself.

he called doug a trust fund baby because he lives in a big nice new house and has tons of new gear. if the guy knew doug's background and how he grew up, he'd know better. my boy worked his arse off for everything he's got.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

This guy has issues....He did you a favor, you don't want anyone like this in a band.

If he's so busy and doesn't have 'time', then why did he bother to audition, or even blast this e-mail...?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, it sounds like this guy's a real loser. Sorry you had to waste your time with his nonsense! All the best with the drummer search.

PM me if you are still looking, I know a decent drummer who just moved to Austin, really cool guy, a young doctor.

Edited so I could practice my superpowers. -JD
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12aolcom wrote:I know a decent drummer who just moved to Austin, really cool guy, a young doctor.
Is he setting up a trust fund? :mrgreen:

Sean, you certainly do not need prima donnas like that neanderthal. :lol:

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”