To Heartbreak or not?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

To Heartbreak or not?

Post by whojamfan »

I was wondering why Tom Petty would record solo stuff without the Heartbreakers? It apeears to me that he calls the shots in his band, and the musicians are all great, so why the change? If there is a quick and easy answer to this, which configuration do you like better?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: To Heartbreak or not?

Post by JakeK »

Petty said in the film "Runnin' Down a Dream" he recorded "Full Moon Fever" because after the horrible charting of "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)" he needed some "alone" time. He and Jeff Lynne initally started and wrote most of the "Fever" songs before the Wilburys happened.

I personally don't care how it's performed, he always ends up bringing the Heartbreakers to perform solo songs live, anyway.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Jeff Lynne has been an incredible songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer, and engineer since the later half of the 60s. It is amazing how low key and behind the scenes he has remained throughout the years.

No wonder Tom Petty and George Harrison collaborated with him, as well as many others. I was happy to see him as a Wilbury :D
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

whojamfan wrote:Jeff Lynne has been an incredible songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer, and engineer since the later half of the 60s. It is amazing how low key and behind the scenes he has remained throughout the years.

No wonder Tom Petty and George Harrison collaborated with him, as well as many others. I was happy to see him as a Wilbury :D
Don't forget he produced Free as a Bird and Real Love for the Beatles Anthology and tracks for McCartney's Flaming Pie.
harley

Post by harley »

To date, I have a greater fondness for the Heartbreaker albums than I do his solo stuff. I enjoyed Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers and REALLY liked Highway Companion but they have a different "feel" to them as compared to the ones with the full band. I'm a band guy at heart. ;)

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”