Chords used by Weller

Putting music theory into practice
stubby
Intermediate Member

Re: Chords used by Weller

Post by stubby »

BTW - Love your avatar John. Hunky Dory is one of my favourite albums. For tone, I've always sought to get that gorgeous full, rich but crisp acoustic you find on Andy Warhol. Even that one strum at the beginning just sends chills up my spine.
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

The songs are:

In the city
Modern world
To be someone
Mr. Clean
English rose
Billy hunt
In the crowd
Fly
Down in the tube station at midnight
So sad about us (acoustic version with Townshend at royal albert hall)
Eton rifles
Monday
Start!
Man in the cornershop
Strange town
Going underground
That's entertainment
Precious
Carnation
Town called malice

Thank you.
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

sloop_john_b wrote:I would agree that two notes can make up a chord. In my experience with writing diatonic choral music with up to four voices sounding simultaneously, the essentials are the root and the third. No fifth necessary. Bach would approve, too. :wink:
They can make up a chord if you "assume" other sounds, like the third, or the fifth, but musical theory is very clear. 2 notes playing together is an interval, you need 3 notes of more to make a chord.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

tennis_nick wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:I would agree that two notes can make up a chord. In my experience with writing diatonic choral music with up to four voices sounding simultaneously, the essentials are the root and the third. No fifth necessary. Bach would approve, too. :wink:
They can make up a chord if you "assume" other sounds, like the third, or the fifth, but musical theory is very clear. 2 notes playing together is an interval, you need 3 notes of more to make a chord.
Well, okay then. Real world application, however, only requires the "essentials".
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

sloop_john_b wrote:
tennis_nick wrote:
Well, okay then. Real world application, however, only requires the "essentials".
I suppose it depends on the context.

If I'm playing thirds up and down the neck with the bass playing the root, That would be the guitar playing intervals, and the entire band playing a chord. That's why orchestra's kick ***.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

tennis_nick wrote: That's why orchestra's kick ***.
At least we can agree on that! :lol:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

tennis_nick wrote:
True. But with the exception of a few instruments like flute or violin, which have little to no harmonics, a root note will automatically sound its own 3rd and 5th, and actually more in tune than if they had been separately played notes, due to necessary quirks involving the Pythagorean system.

Edit: fun exercise for clarinet players with access to a chromatic strobotuner: set it to G and play a nice low C. Betcha it takes it.
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

Braineater wrote:The songs are:

In the city
Modern world
To be someone
Mr. Clean
English rose
Billy hunt
In the crowd
Fly
Down in the tube station at midnight
So sad about us (acoustic version with Townshend at royal albert hall)
Eton rifles
Monday
Start!
Man in the cornershop
Strange town
Going underground
That's entertainment
Precious
Carnation
Town called malice

Thank you.
Anyone could help me with this songs with chords ''a-la weller''?
Thank you.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

The only thing I can say about PW's chording is that it tends to be simpler than you would expect. In the days before the net, I was thoroughly confused by music books that would show all chords as open chords. I was actually kicked out of a high school band for not being able to play enough Jam tunes.
As I got a little better, I realized that a lot of the stuff was just moving a pinky here and there around a standard barre chord.
After seeing some Jam videos oline in the past few years, I also realized that he also uses a sort of halff-barre chord quite a bit. Instead of using his index finger to cover all the strings when barring an e major chord shape, he just holds down the high side of the neck, which allows for a little more flexability in the other fingers to form sevenths & ninths & such.
Just google 'tabs jam' and the song name. For instance, I play Start just the way it is tabbed, but all of it is barre chords way up the neck. The chorus part is just barring an A chord shape (at the appropriate fret) with a pinky added on to the high e.
Braineater

Post by Braineater »

Thank you!
Could you post all fingering of this chords that you know please?
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Not at the moment. Here is all you really need.

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/j/jam/
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”