Who are you registered with?

Putting music theory into practice
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Who are you registered with?

Post by sloop_john_b »

With the debut release from my band The Jazz Funeral looming, I figured it would be wise to register my music and set up a publishing company.

After attending a seminar called "Being Your Own Label", I decided to go with BMI - one of the panelists was Director of Artist Relations at the time and she sold me.

Have any of you set up a publishing company/registered your songs with BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, or any of the other big companies? Any particular experiences with any companies you'd be interested in sharing?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Who are you registered with?

Post by kiramdear »

Good topic, John.

Sadly I've no information for you, but I'm in the same position with my handful of new songs. I'll be eager to see what you come up with.

I've been releasing my songs streaming-only through SoundClick, but I don't know how safe everything is. As soon as I get enough material for an album I'll be looking for a way to get set up properly.
From what I gleaned earlier, one needs three different licenses to be able to play in the big league publishing game, only two of which are possible to acquire by you and me. It's not a level playing field by any means.
All I wanna do is rock!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Years ago I registered with SOCAN, which is like the Canadian ASCAP.
I wasn't aware of other options.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Kenny Howes and I are registered with BMI; it's my belief that their current royalty collection model is much more effective than ASCAP to get the checks to the artist. That hasn't always been true but their computerized analysis of "content" tends to collect TV show and Internet related royalties better, as well as the usual radio ones.

I also once had issues with royalties being paid from the country of St. Lucia- even though BMI has no "jurisdiction" there, they have alliances with most major royalty processors (Performing Rights Society in the U.K. in this case) and can help make things happen.

ASCAP may be slightly better in catching club and stage rights royalties, as they put major emphasis on licensing venues.

Unfortunately, you cannot be a member of more than one society, although it's common for artists to play both sides of the fence by designating the spouse as an author or publisher, with a different society membership.
TheWonders

Post by TheWonders »

I joined BMI back in the 70s - at the time, they were more friendly to unknown artists and were easier to join the ASCAP.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I joined BMI Canada in 1966.

SOCAN was formed in 1990, but its predecessors have been around in some form or another in Canada since 1925. SOCAN was created as a result of the merger of two former Canadian performing rights societies: The Composers, Authors and Publishers Association of Canada (CAPAC) and the Performing Rights Organization of Canada (PROCAN). PROCAN, originally called BMI Canada Ltd., was formed by Broadcast Music Inc. of the U.S. to license its repertoire in Canada. BMI Canada became a not-for-profit performing rights organization (PRO) and in 1977, changed its name to PROCAN to reflect the changed nature of the organization.

All of my songs in the BMI data base were taken over by SOCAN. I am still a member. The publishing rights to my songs are another matter entirely. Choose your publisher carefully.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

I actually have the BMI forms printed and in a folder out in my car; I need to get off my duff and send them in.......this has only been going on for four years now.... :shock: :D
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I'm registered with BMI. And probably for the worst of reasons; my favorite songwriter Bill Staines is registered with BMI. I'm registered as Old Sod Shanty Music. I joined back in 1999. And it was pretty easy. All I had to do was assure them that I had had a song that received radio play.

JimK
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Member ASCAP since 1996. I've had zero activity the whole time.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

johnhall wrote:Kenny Howes and I are registered with BMI; it's my belief that their current royalty collection model is much more effective than ASCAP to get the checks to the artist. That hasn't always been true but their computerized analysis of "content" tends to collect TV show and Internet related royalties better, as well as the usual radio ones.
Not to mention that, last time I checked, ASCAP required a fee and BMI didn't.
jumpindave

Post by jumpindave »

Been registered with ASCAP since about '95 and been receiving royalties as long. Yes, they do have dues, I believe about $75/annum but they seem to go away after you've established yourself as a regular royalty income producer. It probably takes about 10 years. I would have to read the by-laws to confirm the dues schedule. In my opinion they are big & agressive and are constantly seeking new deals/streams of income. I've been happy with them thus far.
My publishing company is "Ben Little Music"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

They did away with the $10 annual fee several years ago.
jumpindave

Post by jumpindave »

They did away with the $10 annual fee several years ago.
Ah, that explains it. I just noticed it was no longer being deducted.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Since I never made any money through them, they let it accrue until I did. They did away with the fee and eliminated my bill. I've still never made any money, though! :( Maybe if the CD takes off and gets some airplay....

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”