Gretsch Monkees Rock N' Roll Model

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jch
Intermediate Member

Re: Gretsch Monkees Rock N' Roll Model

Post by jch »

I don't think that is the same 6120 Joe Walsh give him.
collin

Post by collin »

JakeK wrote:
collin wrote:...now owned by Johnny Marr :

So, Pete sold this, too? Dang, all he has at this point are the modded Clapton Strats.
In the early 80s, Alan Rogan (Pete's longtime guitar tech as well as Rolling Stone guitar tech amongst others), was working with Johnny Marr who was knee-deep recording The Smiths debut album. I'm not sure if Johnny and Pete knew each other, but somehow or another a couple of Pete's guitars ended up in Johnny's hands (Given away or not, I have no idea..).

He ended up with the 6120, and this choice '64 RM1993 (one of Pete's originals) :

No idea if the 6120 is the Walsh Gretsch, but I assume Pete had a few of them (knowing how he rapidly went through equiptment)....
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I can believe Pete's 1993 leaving his arsenal, but I don't think the 6120 is the "Who's Next" model. Pete had one he used on "Rough Mix" with Ronnie Lane with a pickguard and TOM bridge. The original Gretsch was seen in a 2004 interview concerning the Stones' "Rock and Roll Circus"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Danotron wrote:Gretsches ARE great guitars but unfortunately the Monkees model is not one of their finest. Unless you're into it for the high kitsch factor (which Is totally cool, believe me!), there are/were much better Gretsch guitars.

Like Jake and others noted, 6120's, Tenneseans, White Falcons, Jets.........................rock on!

I'm not even sure the Monkees played the Monkees Model!

I do admit however, that they are rare and nostalgic and it would be super cool to pull one out at a gig for fun.
There are lots of better Gretsches: almost anything made recently or pre-Baldwin, in fact. There were some glitches around 1997-2002, and older Gs have some binding problems, but the Monkees thing? Over-priced IMO, for what's essentially a minor variation/trim/color option.

Back then the Monkees were considered good humor, but nobody except teenybopper girls and a few misguided male souls thought they were hip at the time.

Nowadays, of course, we look back and see a fun phenom, uncolored by our young need to appear hipper than thou.

Speaking of "thou", whenever one of these comes up for sale, it is priced about a "thou" too high, at least! :lol:
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I think the things the Monkees were put down for back in the day (pre-fabbed/built around a specific agenda/target audience in mind, radio ready tunes, the hippest clothing/haircuts) has become the norm in rock and roll, from Disney to Indie to Hardcore.

I dug them then and I dig them now (course I am a few months younger than you, Paul :wink: )!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jingle_jangle wrote:Nowadays, of course, we look back and see a fun phenom, uncolored by our young need to appear hipper than thou.

Speaking of "thou", whenever one of these comes up for sale, it is priced about a "thou" too high, at least! :lol:
+1 and +1
collin

Post by collin »

shamustwin wrote:I think the things the Monkees were put down for back in the day (pre-fabbed/built around a specific agenda/target audience in mind, radio ready tunes, the hippest clothing/haircuts) has become the norm in rock and roll, from Disney to Indie to Hardcore.
Yep, +1

....tell me the Monkees aren't basically the same thing as the Jonas brothers today......and the Jonas' are on the cover of Rolling Stone last issue...pre-fab is still BIG BUSINESS.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, for one thing, the Monkees didn't worry about their virginity being taken prematurely...

Well, except for Davey Jones, anyway.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

jingle_jangle wrote:Well, for one thing, the Monkees didn't worry about their virginity being taken prematurely...

Well, except for Davey Jones, anyway.

He was saving himself for when Marsha Brady grew up.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Not Marsha. Bobby.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Dang! Another childhood fantasy completely trashed now. :oops: :(

:lol: :lol: :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

jingle_jangle wrote:Not Marsha. Bobby.
Don't believe everything you hear or read. It says here that he was married twice: From Wikipedia - Jones is twice divorced with four daughters: Talia Elizabeth (2 October 1968) and Sarah Lee (3 July 1971) with first wife Linda Haines, and Jessica Lillian (4 September 1981) and Annabel Charlotte (26 June 1988) with second wife Anita Pollinger. I still think the Monkees as a band were a joke though........even today. I could never take them seriously. Peter was a fine musician and Mickey could sing. I'll leave it at that. :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
collin

Post by collin »

My hat does go off to the big names who wrote their songs.

Pleasant Valley Sunday is a bitchin song, no matter who is singing it.

Plus, since they had a slew of people writing the songs, they all varied big time---from Sleepy Jean to Pleasant Valley to Last Train to their weird movie Head, they seemed surprisingly inconsistent.

While I do understand how lame the Monkees were back in the day, I think that to younger generations (like Kennys, and certainly mine), they are no less "cheesy" than Herman's Hermits and Gerry and the Pacemakers. If you're into kitschy sixties stuff, then the Monkees seem like a natural fit to the whole era. No need to compare them to the "greats" like the Beatles etc......it's apples and oranges.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Love this tune ("Randy Scouse Git" aka "Alternative Title" :lol:) :

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

winston wrote: Peter was a fine musician and Mickey could sing. I'll leave it at that. :lol:
Brian! Mike Nesmith remains a fabulous musician and genuine Renaissance Man!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”