Gretsch serial numbers

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

Gretsch serial numbers

Post by jps »

I just came back form checking out a local sale Tennessee Rose that looks brand new other than being dusty from sitting out most of the time and the frets could use a polishing. The serial number is JTXXXXXXXXXXXX (I don't recall the exact number of Xs after the JT), would this be a Terada built guitar and is this a desirable guitar? It has the cherry finish, Fitertrons, Bigsby, etc, model 6119. Includes OHSC and paperwork. He wants $1000 for it. Deal? No deal? :? The guitars plays great but does need new strings; if I decide not to keep it, anybody want it?
Ric O'Sound

Re: Gretsch serial numbers

Post by Ric O'Sound »

Hey Jeff,

Do you know approximately how old it is? Do you know if the guitar is pre-FMIC or not?
Here's how to decipher FMIC Gretsch serials:

JFYYMMNNNN where:

J = Japan
F = Factory (T is Terada)
YY = Year of Manufacture
MM = Month of Manufacture
NNNN = the NNNNth instrument built at that factory in that year (includes all models, of course, otherwise the numbers wouldn't be unique)

Definitely a desirable guitar. They go for in the neighborhood of $2k new, so it sounds like a sweet deal if it's really in top condition.

- Danny
The Fonz says:
"Yo...only nerds don't play Rickenbackers. Aaaay!"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The seller told me he bought it within the past year to year and a half, so let's say within the past two years. I am going to call him and get the complete serial number from him. Is the Bigsby B6C Chinese made, I am guessing it is from the C designation. Are they any good?
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

All pro line (read: Japanese) Gretsches are fitted with US Bigsbys. The "C" denotes the Gretsch branded version with the V cutout. So yeah, it's good. Post the serial when you get it from the seller.

BTW, if you buy it and decide not to keep it...I may be interested. But I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll want to keep it.
The Fonz says:
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Jeff, sounds like a great deal to me.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Serial number is JT06053261, so this TR was made in June of '05.

I think I would be more interested in picking it up for someone who wants it as I really am not into guitars with vibratos on them, never was my thing, really. The guitar is quite nice, so let me know, as I would be picking it up from the seller tomorrow evening on my way home from work. My last forum browsing will be tomorrow morning and I will be offline by 9am. :wink:
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

According to the serial, it's a May 2006 build.
I wouldn't let the vibrato influence me, Jeff. Those Tennys sound great. You don't have to use the Bigsby. You see, a Gretsch isn't really a Gretsch without one.

If I were you, I'd pick it up anyway. Try it out and give it a chance. They really are great guitars. And you're getting a hell of a deal, so if you decide it ain't your thing, you can flip it and likely get more than what you paid for it.
The Fonz says:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Oops, I must be dyslexic! JT 05063261! :oops:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

GREAT price.