Any info on putting together a tribute concert?

Those who flock to The Byrds
Tedster

Any info on putting together a tribute concert?

Post by Tedster »

Does anyone have any experience with putting together (I know it's a huge undertaking) a tribute concert? How to book venues, acts, sponsors, etc...all that ****....
FATRAT_II

Post by FATRAT_II »

what kind of tribute concert, you mean getting the Byrds back together or something????
how much time and money do you have????
OR do you mean going out as a tribute Byrds band???
I need more info...

FATRAT II
Tedster

Post by Tedster »

Go to http://www.geneclark.com

This would be primarily a Gene Clark tribute festival, here in Gene's hometown of Kansas City. The Clark family, particularly brother Rick in L.A., has been trying to put on a festival here. Some things fell through. I mentioned to the family that I'd be glad to help in any way possible, and some of the members said, "Well, if you're serious...". I really don't know all the ramifications of how to go about such a thing...although I have ideas. The local KC oldies station may be interested in helping sponsor such an event.

I'll admit that one of my motivating factors was that our band got offered a chance to open the show.
FATRAT_II

Post by FATRAT_II »

since Gene Clark is not here anymore,
what would be the draw??? what would be the show thats what you have to ask yourself.....
You need a REM type (got any money) or maybe Carla Olson she did some stuff with Gene, get one of the guys from the 80s band the Long Ryders to show up, Sid Griffin, he wrote a book on Grahm Parsons and he is known in Byrds circles, he has a new band...You need some well known act that was influenced by the Byrds, it would be nice if you could get Chris Hillman or someone in the old Byrds camp to perform or at least show up, another suggestion would be Marty Stuart who has Clarance Whites Tele or some country stars that are Byrds influenced...you need to contact booking agents, Im not knocking your band but your going to need a drawing act....
i think you will need more than a radio sponcer as well, try a CD store chain or a beer distributer, or make it a charity thing and get a food bank involved....Im not sure what your trying to do here really, I get that your band is opening, it would be easier to just go play a club if thats the case.....It a big job... thats why his family is saying if your SERIOUS, they dont want it to turn into something cheesy clown show, you better look into it more....I have never tried this so Im guessing here but I know one thing its not easy....
good luck

FATRAT II
Tedster

Post by Tedster »

That's the point. Gene isn't here anymore, so you need a draw. My band isn't going to draw anyone. Exactly...my band is an (bold italics) opening act. Opening acts don't draw, they get to go out and look like idiots to warm the audience for the draws. And then brag to your grandkids about the time you opened for (insert bigger name here).

The whole idea was to get some acts with some clout to come and pay homage to Gene, and have some local yokels open the show to gain exposure and prestige for them. I think I'll forget it.
RAT

Post by RAT »

Im not trying to dicourage you....
Its a great idea....
I think its a bigger job than you can handle on your own, try it on a smaller scale....
Try having something in a nice good size club, that way you dont have to fool with a stage and a place to have it....and if someone falls down and bust their nugget your not responsible....
Give the door money to charity....
see if you can get the family to be involved and a few of the folks I mentioned up there in the other post to show....you can do it,
just not by yourself you need some help.....
good luck
RATImage
rat

Post by rat »

PS...just for the record here...
I have never held a tribute concert for Gene Clark....I dont pretend to know a thing about it.....
My only experience is:
played in bands for 15 years, held a small concert for a food bank, owned a music store and went to the university of hard knocks, currently studying common sense...
so all information here is my best uneducated guess.....
good day and good luck....
RAT Image
Tedster

Post by Tedster »

Well, the family is interested. There are clubs here in KC that would probably work as venues as opposed to huge halls...good idea. The Beaumont Club comes to mind...a night club with local bands for the most part, but shows come there too. Sheryl Crow, Brian Setzer, Todd Rundgren, all of those and more have played the Beaumont. That'd be a good start. Good idea...thanks!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”