Vote: Who's Your Second Favorite Liverpool Band?

History and music of Liverpool
JeffZ

Re: Vote: Who's Your Second Favorite Liverpool Band?

Post by JeffZ »

How about The Remo Four? They never get mentioned much but everything I've heard has been very good and I understand they had the best technical chops on Mersyside.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

JeffZ wrote:How about The Remo Four? They never get mentioned much but everything I've heard has been very good and I understand they had the best technical chops on Mersyside.
Cool ! Brother, where are you ?
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

murphy12 wrote:Haven't looked all the way through this thread, so I don't know if they've already been mentioned. How's about The Liverbirds?
"....Peanut, peanutbutter...."
From 1965 … The Liverbirds and “Peanut Butter”

When active, the girls tended to have a higher performing profile in Germany and Continental Europe than they did in Britain.

----------------------------------------------
JeffZ wrote:How about The Remo Four? They never get mentioned much but everything I've heard has been very good and I understand they had the best technical chops on Mersyside.
From 1966 … The Remo Four and “Peter Gunn”

I particularly like this clip because it shows Colin Manley making overt references to the playing style of Jimmi Hendrix who [circa 1966] together with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell were beginning to make a name for themselves on the London and British scene.

JeffZ wrote:I have always liked The Big 3. Their live EP is great, and I have it on one of the See for Miles reissues.
Listen to the opening track “What’d I Say” from The Big Three’s EP “Live at the Cavern”

I’ve always thought this EP is a poor memorial to the performing prowess that was The Big Three … for, other than a few sterile studio recordings, it is all that now remains of them in the type of live club environment they once thrived in.

The Dennisons (from the Aintree part of Liverpool) were at the time, a group that I would go purposefully out of my way to watch perform …

Thank God for YouTube ... What would we do without it.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

For those of us too young to have been there, the Big Three's Live at the cavern is the closest we can get to what it must have been like; I would have loved to have seen them at their peak.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

Just browsed this thread and I can only say it's an utter disgrace that there's no mention of the Stands ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLVIfIqu ... re=related

... or their recently-turned-solo band leader Howard Elliot-Payne ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdt5S_a ... re=related

The bloke's pure genius in my book. I can only imagine he isn't mentioned at all because he is number one on everybody's list. :roll:
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

ricardo_vicente wrote:The bloke's pure genius in my book. I can only imagine he isn't mentioned at all because he is number one on everybody's list.
The defunct Stands (2003 - 05) together with now solo, Howie Payne are still only modern day 5-minute Liverpool wonders. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, check back in 40 years time to see if anyone is still talking about them in the same sentence as their illustrious predecessors of the 1960s and then I just might agree with you ... but I doubt it because by then I'll either be long died or 104 years of age.
ricardo_vicente

Post by ricardo_vicente »

hamilton_square wrote:
ricardo_vicente wrote:The bloke's pure genius in my book. I can only imagine he isn't mentioned at all because he is number one on everybody's list.
The defunct Stands (2003 - 05) together with now solo, Howie Payne are still only modern day 5-minute Liverpool wonders. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, check back in 40 years time to see if anyone is still talking about them in the same sentence as their illustrious predecessors of the 1960s and then I just might agree with you ... but I doubt it because by then I'll either be long died or 104 years of age.
Well, yeah, of course but it doesn't stop me lovin' 'em! And thats all I was trying to say really. Didn't mean to come across wanting to make a genuinely serious point.
The Stands will never be remembered for being ground-breaking. I just think they did what they did really well with some really good pop songs.
akhv

Post by akhv »

I grew up listening to various 'beatles' reel-to-reel tapes. Later it turned out there were lots of bands besides beatles on those tapes, mostly merseybeat with an occasional monkees or elvis song thrown in. When I grew up I started to look for those recordings. There was this great band with a girl and a guy sharing lead vocal duties. After a while I found out they were the Searchers, and a 'girl' singing was Tony Jackson :) And of course there was no way I could guess that 'walking the dog' and 'be my girl' were by the same band, the Dennisons.
There were lots of merseybeat reissues lately, I hope someone will find a live Denissons recording, or maybe a demo tape, or anything else that can be issued on a cd.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I have the Edsel compliation "Let's Stomp". Both Faron's Flamingos and Earl Preston & the TT's sound like they would have been terrific live.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

band would be the Searchers...
performer would be Billy Fury...
but the one song that still gets to me after all these years is Ferry Cross The Mersey by Gerry & the Pacemakers.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

hamilton_square wrote: From 1965 … The Liverbirds and “Peanut Butter”

When active, the girls tended to have a higher performing profile in Germany and Continental Europe than they did in Britain.
Sadly Pamela Birch of the Liverbirds recently passed away..
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =517395302
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

The La's

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVd2x0EpnYA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVd2x0EpnYA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

So..other then The Beatles I take it Kira :D The Searchers, Gerry & The Pacemakers and Elvis Costello....

Liverpool4001

Post by Liverpool4001 »

In my opinion, the best Liverpool band after the Fabs? Half Man Half Biscuit. by a country mile, too...
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My top two favorite Liverpool bands are
1-Atomic Kitten
2-the Beatles

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”