TONY SHERIDAN

History and music of Liverpool
pc31

TONY SHERIDAN

Post by pc31 »

sorry for making my first post as an askance type.....first off let me introduce myself...my names is marshall...aka pc31....i looked for a tony sheridan topic but didn't find one...i am really into his career...i help start a forum for him,was in contact with joe sunseri(an ex manager from the 80s)whom wrote a manuscript he calls nobodys child...we were looking for a publisher last year but garnered no interest...then joe was contacted by a few beer distributors in germany and they made a deal with him for the copyrights which revert back in due time if they fail to use it...in my search of sheridan i looked thru everything about the leather clad beatles...and built this site http://originalonefeather.tripod.com
for the era that i missed because i was born in 63....i also learned other other greats like marty wilde,joe brown,jet harris and others..this being because i am a big fan of rockabilly..gene vincent,buddy holly,eddie cochran,johnny burnette and more....i believe this is what started the beatles out b4 ringo...when i built my site you'll notice it pre ringo...not that i hate ringo but i am concerned more about them becoming professional...but i regress...tony was very much thier inspiration to succeed i believe...they took his style and versatility and made a fortune...i think they owe him a bit more than is recorded in history...i let tony read joes manuscript and he claims it is full of lies...but i can't see joe lying...so maybe tony remembers different....either way he assured me one was being writ by an old school chum of his....this year...
also i am looking to get in touch with brian locking if anyone can help...he has some old films we can let see the light of day...
heres the tony forum i tried http://www.runboard.com/bthetonysheridanforum
so back to the askance deal...while pursuing my endevours i recieved an email from bill harry telling me some of my information on the moondogs was incorrect so i emailed him back to thank him and tried pressuring him to do an online chat series off his site but he claims he can't get the technical aspects of it down...so i kept emailing him now and then asking him to join a forum...which he did finally..this one http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/
it is great having bill there...i also came across arty davies who drummed for faron in the late 60s i think...arty is a great man...jackie lomax has returned to the scene as of late too...we need to get these old timers to leave thier stories collectively in a book...
so in effect tell me what you think did tony help the four guys from 'pool hit it big?and does anyone have some stories of seeing tony preform....
marshall
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: TONY SHERIDAN

Post by royclough »

Take a look at Cloughs Classics Marshall as well as this forum

I'll stand corrected but Arty did not drum with farons Flamingos in 60s though he has of late.

As for the Tony Sheridan debate I believe with or without him The Beatles would have made it big.

I assume Brian Locking you refer to is Brian Locking who was briefly in The Shadows, don't have direct contact but send a pm and I'll try and put you in touch with someone who may have.
pc31

Post by pc31 »

yeah i kind of thought the arty thing was incorrect.....thanks i will p m you....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I believe that Tony Sheridan was a good model for The Beatles in the early days and they learned from watching him perform. I concur with Roy, however, in that the Fabs would have been successful whether they spent time with him or not.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pc31

Post by pc31 »

true enough but they owe him something...the stance lennon used to play guitar is alot like tonys tommy gun stance like on i like love...george said they referred to him as the teacher...he was in the first band to play the saint pauli district...the jets..Pete Wharton (bass), Colin Melander (guitar), Tony Sheridan (guitar), Rick Hardy (guitar).Iain Hines ( piano)it wasn't derry or rory first but the jets...
the man could have had it all...http://www.bootlegzone.com/beatleg/thejets.html
rip rick hardy...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marshall: I quite agree that they owe him something. They had a great stage presence which they borrowed in part from Tony Sheridan. I do not mean to sell him short at all. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pc31

Post by pc31 »

oh i'm sorry i didn't mean to come on to strong like that... :lol:
tony was the first person allowed to play electric guitar on the bbc.....
he also dated asrid before stuart...
the man requested to be sent to the front line to play for the troops in vietnam......
he claims to have taught angus and malcolm youngs older brother guitar.......
he was hindered but fear of fame or the sauce tho...at least he is still rocking...rave on tony... :lol:
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Interesting paragraph in that article about John Lennon:

"I've read too that Koschmider was paying us 'peanuts'. Absolute rubbish! We were getting at least double what an average German earned and on top of this we had free accommodation. I know it wasn't luxurious but if we had wanted we could have afforded to go elsewhere. I was with John Lennon when he purchased his famous Rickenbacker guitar from Musikhaus Hummel in the centre of Hamburg. It was a very expensive instrument and he paid for it cash. You can't do that on peanuts! Incidentally John didn't go in to specifically buy a Rickenbacker. It so happened that it was the only American guitar in stock and he went for it. I wouldn't presume to say that my admiration for the guitar swayed John's decicion to buy it, but it's nice to think it might have been! Maybe if for instance they had only an Epiphone or a Gretsch in stock he would have bought something different. I bet that would have made a sizeable difference to Rickenbacker's profitability in the 1960's if he had done so! "
pc31

Post by pc31 »

i was emailing rick hardy before he died i was asking him to do a book because he was there in the beginning....sadly all he left us was a few well written pages...

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”