Cryin' Shames today: An update from George Robinson

History and music of Liverpool
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Cryin' Shames today: An update from George Robinson

Post by kiramdear »

I'm really pleased to report that I've been in correspondence with George Robinson regarding recent activities and whereabouts of the Cryin' Shames original members. He asked me to prepare a post for him from our exchange, so I'm happy to introduce George Robinson and share his notes on the band's history old and recent. Don't miss the link that he provided at the end to an article with more information from other original members and interested parties. Fascinating.

Ladies and gentlemen, I turn the floor over to George:

Cryin shames
Sent at: 30 Jan 2009, 11:50
To: kiramdear

Dear Kira
Here is an account of things with the Cryin Shames to date.

Sometime during 2006. A party had been organised for the release of John Repsch’s Joe Meek biography…. “The Telstar Man”. A good book still available.
There were rumours at the party about a planned film. The subject of the film was to be the life of Joe Meek the producer of Please Stay, plus many other more important hits.

A stage play in London was already under way, and a Canadian company planned a TV special called, A Life In The Death Of Joe Meek.

It was now 41 years since the original DECCA release of Please Stay.
The record is still to this day, being released on compilations.
Despite the court hearing granting Meeks artistes the rights to their own recordings, no royalties are being paid.
Letters by me to Roller Coaster who were releasing the records were ignored.

I spoke to John Repsch about the film, but it seemed that his work too was being passed by, despite all the effort he had put into reviving interest in Meek.

Clem Cattini the old drummer with the Tornado’s, had reformed his band, and was now doing the circuit. Complete with other members.
He wanted to cash in on the Meek revival.
I was also still working with the band, “Class of 59”, we travelled all over and I worked with Clem a lot.

The Tornado’s advised me on what to do to beat the record companies.
It was simple. Re record Please Stay, and put it on our own label.
The Tornado’s had done this with Telstar.
The second version of Telstar was not as good as the original, but it sold and everyone got paid.
My wife Kate did some of the technical side [the intro] for them.

A lot of the Mersey bands from the 60s had done the same thing.
Some are using recorded live versions and selling CDs at gigs.
If you purchase re recordings of songs and you don’t like them. This is the reason.

I knew there was in existence, a film of the Cryin Shames. It was footage from the Dick Clark show in the USA.
There was also film from British TV.
This film could be used for a compilation film CD, of Joe Meeks artistes.
. I knew the feasibility of a film CD had already been discussed.
Had any of the big boys known about the film it would have been bought and used, and as usual, no royalties would be paid.

I wrote to Dick Clark. His office had little interest in the band and sold me the film.
All I needed to do now was get the CD sorted.
The British TV film was priced way to high for me.
I didn’t get it.

The year 2008 was to be Liverpool City of Culture Year. It was to be a big event.
The gift shops in Liverpool Docks had agreed to stock a re recording of Please Stay.
The stores also expected bumper sales throughout the 2008 year.
The royalties for the new Please Stay would be paid to the band.
I couldn’t tell anyone what I was planning.
I was advised to keep it all as secret as possible.

The bottom line was… The people in Liverpool I had planned to re record Please Stay had big mouths.
The bigger companies were not willing to not pay for the films we all had, and the CD project was dropped.
It was decided by all of us, to post all the films on Utube.

The film of Meeks life has been made. It’s called Telstar. Released 2008.
I knew Brian Epstein was to figure in the film.
Despite my efforts in creating controversy, and interest in the Cryin Shames story, the film and the stage play ignored the band completely. In reallity we were just a footnote in the Meek saga .
The song Please Stay was used for the main title, but the company concerned decided to use a version recorded by Duffy.
Imagine a film of Piccasso’s life using paintings by someone else.

The interest in Meek has had some positive results for the Cryin Shames.
Some newspapers and local radio stations have been in touch with me, and the Cryin Shames and Bumblies surviving members are planning a number of gigs this year.
Hopefully a Video from the Cavern will also be forthcoming.
The first get together for us all is this Sunday 1st Feb.

This is an unbiased account of the band, by a journalist from Liverpool.
Contributions were by three former members, including me.
http://www.joebloggs.110mb.com/

George Robinson.
Cryin shames founder member and bass player.
All I wanna do is rock!
rickrout

Re: Cryin' Shames today: An update from George Robinson

Post by rickrout »

Who is Joe Bloggs?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The link does not work anyway, ironic in some ways that the group's last single was called Nobody Waved Goodbye.

There was one further single but credited to Paul and Richie and The Crying Shames and apart from Paul and Richie not same line-up I understand.

Paul Crane or Charles Paul Crane to give real name was the vocalist on the classic Please Stay.

Richie (Richard) Routledge was the Richie referred to.

Routledge joined before Please Stay was released, but may not have been on that release.

I believe George left before the second single was released and was not on it, perhaps he will confirm that.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would like to see this link too, Roy. It sounds as if there is some interesting reading ahead.

Until then

Be sure to check out Brian Jones version of Stranger On The Shore. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Just one of the My Space sites claiming to be The Crying Shames

Alternate

For those interested here is the three Crying Shames singles, or 2 plus another if we wish to be pedantic.

Crying Shames only hit number 26 in UK March 66

Crying Shames

Paul & Richie & The Crying Shames

rickrout

Post by rickrout »

THIS LINK WORKS FOR PLEASE STAY ITS ALSO GOT THE RIGHT LINE UP FOR THE VIDEO
DICK CLARK'S WHERE THE ACTION IS FOR AMERICN T.V. 1966 FILMED IN LONDON

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... fc4eb3db29

WHO IS JOE BLOGGS ?

ps BRIAN JONES PLAYS GREAT SAX .
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

PS. Your caps are on...
rickrout

Post by rickrout »

sorry old chap typing while recording is not wise.
pussycat

Post by pussycat »

The surprising thing about the Cryin shames must be the longevity of the name.
If you read the first post from myself you will see why this may be.
I just did a radio show about the Shames. The big question / interest,... is in the imminent release of the film Telstar.
The myths about Brian Epstein and the Meek shotgun incident were invented by me. Yet these stories are included in the film.
The film of the Shames on Utube was bought by me from Dick Clark Entertainment who had no interest in the footage.
This was all a ploy by myself to make the Shames seem more important to the joe Meek story than we were.
The Shames were in reallity a blip in the life of Meek and probably no more than a minor irritation to Epstein.
Apart from that the song Please Stay by the Shames was an obvious rip off, of the superior Zoot Money version.

The joke backfired on me/us when the film company who were fooled into thinking Please Stay was bigger than it was, called upon Duffy to sing it as the films main title.
However should anyone want to surf the WEB we have tried to capitalize on that fact.

The idea of re recording Please Stay and releasing it on our own label, has also collapsed. Consequently when the film is released in June this year, we will see nothing of any royalties the song generates..
This is because of bad feeling within the band [ who would all have had to agree on this action]

In reply to Miss Rickrout
Joe Bloggs is a woman, who's father played in a 60s Mersy band . I met her at Merseycats, and agreed she could use the name.
The correct URL is http://www.cryinshames.com/
I believe she intends filling the site with bios of her fathers favourite musicians.

The remaining members of the band i.e. the drummer, myself, and a former member of the Bumblies have got ourselves back together for a short time and are booked the play at the 50th anniversary of the Beatles.... The Casbah Club, and the Mathew street festival. All the money from us will be payed into the Alder Hey Childrens hospital Any support from members of this site would be much appreciated.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Charlie Gallagher comes out of retirement..

Mersey Cats charity gig.
Hard Days Night Hotel...Mathew St fest weekend August 2009

Unusual/rare Liverpool Beatles related photographs >>> http://liverpooldays.com/photo/index.php

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”