Built a 6AU6-powered amp!

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Built a 6AU6-powered amp!

Post by scott_s »

Hey folks!

I recently got the urge to design a really low-powered home amp using 6AU6's in push-pull. For those unfamiliar with the device, they're a small 3W pentode, generally used as a voltage amplifier in radios. I noticed that I had a lot of them, so I thought "why not?" 8) Most small tube practice amps are single-ended (just one power tube), so they clip a little differently from the push-pull pair used in larger amps. Even my 5-watt 5F2A is too much at times, so here was my chance to build something even smaller, but with a very different character. Since I've already completed the thing and done most of the debugging, I'll try to leave the less important stuff out.

Here's the loadline. To make things a little easier for myself, I designed it for class-A operation (neither tube going into cutoff), which means each tube sees half of the output transformer primary impedance. The blue line is what I was shooting for:

If you do the math, that's a 25kΩ load (50kΩ for both tubes)! To make it work, I used a Hammond 125A transformer, which can be wired for a primary impedance of anywhere between 1.2kΩ to 25kΩ. I wired it for 22kΩ primary/4Ω secondary, then attached an 8Ω speaker to double the primary to 44kΩ. Still with me? :shock:

The blue line is where my actual voltages (and 44kΩ load) put me. Here's the full schematic. Since I initially believed the current draw would vary wildly, I designed the amp with fixed bias, probably one of the smallest tube amps in history to do so!

And here it is being tested on my bench. I used a Jensen Neo 10" speaker so I could hear tube amp distortion without much coloration.

At first, the amp was very hummy, so I added an artificial center tap for the heaters using 100Ω resistors, which helped a lot. Because the Hammond 269JX transformer put out a lot more voltage than I expected, I had to juggle some of the power supply resistors to get things where I wanted them. So how does it sound? Well, not bad! At the lower end of the dial, there are some nice clean-ish tones. Bright enough to be clear without being piercing. Thanks to the limited voltage swing and lack of negative feedback, the tone gets grubby in a hurry. The two 12AX7 gain stages are enough to drive the output stage into mild oscillation if I'm not careful. Still need a little tweaking, but it's stable for the most part. I'm not entirely sure how to compute the clean power output, but I estimate it at around 1 watt.

I think this kind of amp holds a lot of promise for home practicing, with a little refinement. 8) The current draw actually turns out to be pretty stable, so I may convert it to cathode bias. Haven't decided yet.

Here's another view:

Take care,
- Scott

P.S. More of the gory details here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/shock-brothe ... rbose.html
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Built a 6AU6-powered amp!

Post by cjj »

Cool project! You must be almost as nerdy as me! :lol: And a tube rectifier too! That variac looks just like one I used to have!!!

Oh, and I always seem to end up with a beer bottle or two on my bench as well, glad to see I'm not the only one!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

cjj wrote:Cool project! You must be almost as nerdy as me! :lol: And a tube rectifier too! That variac looks just like one I used to have!!!

Oh, and I always seem to end up with a beer bottle or two on my bench as well, glad to see I'm not the only one!
Thanks! The variac (was yours a "Power-Stat", too?) came with a bunch of tube stuff I bought from a retired TV/radio/sound installer. I also got a neat VTVM and some tube testers. 8)

And I gotta have some 1554 or Vanilla Porter whenever I work. Yummy stuff!

- Scott
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

One of the reasons it is hummy is because it was built all exposed and isn't in a metal chassis that could provide some shielding, but aside from that, a cool project! ;)

Greg

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”