Gretsch "Knotty" Guitar

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Gretsch "Knotty" Guitar

Post by rickboy88 »

I was at Wildwood Guitars in Colorado today, and saw this on the wall in the main showroom.

I thought that knots in wood was once a bad thing, but I guess not anymore... :?
Attachments
Knotty Guitar
Knotty Guitar
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Gretsch "Knotty" Guitar

Post by johnallg »

Depends on how you market them?
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/inde ... 2=&q=&st=1

It's a reissue of a rare Gretsch model from the '50s. Not exactly to my taste...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

It's kind of cool, but it also sort of looks like cigarette burn marks. The guitar reminds me of the knotty pine kitchen cabinets in my parents' house when I was a kid; the only difference was that the kitchen cabs had a cherry finish, IIRC.

Question; has anyone played one of these, or one of the Chet Atkins solid body roundup models? If so, do they have a standard Jet style neck, or the slimmer neck of the `55 era Dynasonic 6120s? I have a `57 Silver Jet RI , an early 50s fixed arm Bigsby Duo Jet RI, and one of the aforementioned `55 era Dynasonic 6120 RIs; all of the guitars play great, but I did notice the slimmer neck on the 6120. It reminded me of the slim neck on one of Graham's F models that I had a chance to play. :D
collin

Post by collin »

You know, I kind of like the knotty pine Gretsches.. fits in with the whole cowboy theme etc, but I think I'd have to sort through about a dozen of them before I found one that was "right."

That example shown is perhaps the worst one I've ever seen.....with all the knots aligned in a very awkward row across the guitar- not visually pleasing whatsoever. Plus, it seems like all the knots in their guitars are the little tight ones that could "pop" out if you pushed hard enough.

Strange concept.....but cooler than most other "worn" Fender products, ya know?
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

I 'd rather just buy the regular 6121 Chet Atkins 1955 model ,i need a Bigsby! 8)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The knotty pine thing is an old Gretsch tradition, and a welcome break from the other things that are done to lesser guitars in the name of originality. But, c'mon, Gretsch--the knots all lined up like that? That's the most insensitive treatment I've seen. I'd have sent this one back to Japan for credit on a proper one. And I suspect it's not the only one like this...

If that puppy ever sells, it'll be a miracle.
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

Man, what a kooky-lookin' Gretsch. Bet it plays sweetly though, especially if it came out of the Terada factory. Gretsches are just too cool. Late.......Goofyfoot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Solidbodied Gretsches are built by Dynagakki. Same great quality, though!!!
octagon

Post by octagon »

I always wanted one of those.It reminds me of my childhood.My father had the basement walls our house finished with knotty pine back in 1959.

gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

jingle_jangle wrote:Solidbodied Gretsches are built by Dynagakki. Same great quality, though!!!
Unless it's a Penguin. :D
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

jingle_jangle wrote:Solidbodied Gretsches are built by Dynagakki. Same great quality, though!!!

I dunno, Paul. The hog bod is chambered just like my Gretsch G6128TSP Duo Jet (now redesignated G6128TDS but the same guitar), which was produced at the Terada factory. Anyway, check out the belt! Peace, out.......Goofyfoot.

Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
collin

Post by collin »

octagon wrote:Image

That, to me, is how they SHOULD look. Nice one!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Easy to tell where it was built--look at the serial #. "T" for Terada, "D" for Dyna...

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”