My newest acquisition: a '68 375OS!

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

My newest acquisition: a '68 375OS!

Post by chucksimms »

Yep, the one from Olivia's Vintage (who I would highly recommend as a vendor- very pleased with every aspect of the deal). To afford it (which I still don't know if I can) I traded a few Ricks and sold a Les Paul, but after looking at it every day for a month or two I pulled the trigger. It's weird- almost too new! Gentlemen, it's as good as it looks in the photos. The only question is do I gig with it...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: My newest acquisition: a '68 375OS!

Post by sloop_john_b »

chucksimms wrote:The only question is do I gig with it...
The only answer is yes. Can't wait to see it.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Congrats, Chuck. You have to be excited. I would be for any OS model.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Yeah! We want pics!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Yes, post pics when you get it! Congrats!
Ka is a wheel.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Yes.
JimK
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Chuck's too busy and excited to take pics.

You want pics, here they are! All 82 of them!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Ahhh- You think Olivia's could've put a few more pictures up.
Ka is a wheel.
collin

Post by collin »

Chuck----Congrats!!

I've enjoyed checking out the pics ever since Olivias first posted it, a stunner to say the least.

It will look fantastic with your other OS too. :D
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

:shock: Wow. What a bewdy! Awesome looking Rick. I can see how you were mesmerized by it. :shock:
If it is to be, it is up to me.
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

It is a stunning guitar. Interesting how much variation there is from my '66 365 OS. The 375 has a much slimmer neck- in every way it feels smaller. I traded a very nice '68 335JG for this (as well as 4001C64S) and I see now that the super slim necks are characteristic of this year. If that's what you prefer grab my '68 when it comes up. I'm curious what '67s are like.
This guitar has the deepest, darkest red I've ever seen on a fireglo- almost becomes black. The pictures don't really capture how dramatic it is. In terms of output, it doesn't have as much gain/volume as my '66, but the third pickup does offer a slightly more defined high end. Other than a few nicks and a spot along the neck where the finish has worn off you'd think it was a new guitar. Hell, the case was even in great shape! It is a truly impressive instrument and I feel fortunate to have acquired it, especially because I bought my '66 365OS last year and that's a great guitar as well.
I know a few folks have made noises about Olivia's prices, but I really think they offer great value, particularly when you see some of the prices quoted from several other dealers. I have nothing but accolades for how the deal worked out.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

chucksimms wrote:Interesting how much variation there is from my '66 365 OS. The 375 has a much slimmer neck- in every way it feels smaller.
Weird, my 66 OS had a TINY neck. Seriously like a toothpick.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Congrats, Chuck. You've racked up two amazing and rare Rics. Now you need a 360/12OS if you really want to play some good cards.

I'm sorta ashamed that I've never played an original '60s Rickenbacker. Down in Louisiana, Rickenbackers are as rare as hen's teeth (there are some people who've never even heard of Rics!) and it's just crazy. I need to get my butt to a confluence (that doesn't conflict with family commitments, such as SCARF). My dream is to play (or even own!) a '60's 360/12NS MG.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Nice, congrats Chuck!
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

JakeK wrote:Congrats, Chuck. You've racked up two amazing and rare Rics. Now you need a 360/12OS if you really want to play some good cards.

I'm sorta ashamed that I've never played an original '60s Rickenbacker. Down in Louisiana, Rickenbackers are as rare as hen's teeth (there are some people who've never even heard of Rics!) and it's just crazy. I need to get my butt to a confluence (that doesn't conflict with family commitments, such as SCARF). My dream is to play (or even own!) a '60's 360/12NS MG.
Hey, Ricks aren't common here either! Well, there is a Rick dealer, but vintage ones? I've seen ONE '60s Rick pop up in Victoria since I've been here (1976). All the vintage ones I've looked at or picked up save one have been U.S. owners/dealers listed on the internet.
If you've never played a '60s Rick they're very different and worth the time and cash. A '60s 330 can be had for not much more than a new one (MF sale aside!). I have a '66 335 and it's a phenomenal player. Got it for $1000 Canadian in 1990 when new ones were about the same.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”