TP's house burned down?

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
collin

TP's house burned down?

Post by collin »

I overheard a DJ mention on the radio that "I won't back down" was written in response to arsonists burning down Tom Petty's house in '87 or so?

I'm not hip on Petty history, but is this true Jake-o? If so, that SUCKS! Poor guy.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: TP's house burned down?

Post by JakeK »

This happened in May of '87, while TP was taking a break from his tour with Bob Dylan...

Tom remembers it was supposed to be a birthday party for his first wife. He said he was in the kitchen when he smelled the smoke and the fire started somewhere near his daughter Kim's room. He, his wife and Kim (Adria was at her friend's house) rushed out of the house to try and get shelter. Tom saw his maid near the house, and her hair caught fire, so everyone present jumped in the pool. Before jumping into the pool, Tom tried to put out what he could with a garden hose, but the hose literally melted right in his hands. The house was burned to the ground. Thankfully, though, all of Tom's guitars were at Mike Campbell's home studio or with Bob Dylan in the tour vans. The only thing recovered from the fire was Tom's Gibson Dove Acoustic guitar, which he wrote all of his songs from '76-'91 on (after '91 'til around '96, Tom started using a Martin acoustic to write his songs. From '98-present, he uses a Gibson SJ-200)

Adria Petty was worried because her parents were not answering the phone, and there was no tone at all to be heard after she dialed the number. She called Benmont Tench, who said Mike told him, and Ben promised to take her home.

Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox of The Eurithmics stepped up to the plate. Dave made sure Tom's Dove was safe with him (Dave). Annie took the entire family shopping for an entire new wardrobe of clothes and checked them all into a hotel. That's where the family stayed while Tom finished the Bob Dylan tour.

Epilouge:
During the end of Bob Dylan tour in October '87, in London, Tom met Ringo Starr, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne for the first time. Mike, Ben, Bob, Ringo, George, Jeff and Roger McGuinn celebrated Tom's birthday shortly after the show, and George and Jeff brought Tom a birthday cake and a two-week advance cassette copy of George's new album, "Cloud 9" (one of my favorite George releases). After everyone went home, a hurricane hit London, and Tom said that changed his life forever.

Tom ended up moving to somewhere in Sherman Oaks, (I think) where it turned out Jeff's house in the US was. George would stay with him, and thus, The Wilburys/"Full Moon Fever" was born. Tom said, had it not been for his house burning down, he would have never done The Traveling Wilburys.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Interesting that Tom says that there would have been no Wilburys for him if not for this. I guess it proves that some good can come out of a bad situation. Nice sleuthing, Jake. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
collin

Post by collin »

Man, that sucks. I can't imagine what it's like to lose your house to a fire (especially suspected arson...!).

Thanks for the details, Jake.

I had also heard that Tom stopped at a red light in Sherman Oaks one time and looked over to see Jeff Lynne---they pulled over, started talking, and the idea for the Wilbury's was born that day......not sure if it's all true though.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

collin wrote:Man, that sucks. I can't imagine what it's like to lose your house to a fire (especially suspected arson...!).
I can.
It pretty much sucks, like you said.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, it thoroughly sucks. The worst part is losing all those sentimental type items that really have no actual value, but can never be replaced...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

collin wrote:I had also heard that Tom stopped at a red light in Sherman Oaks one time and looked over to see Jeff Lynne---they pulled over, started talking, and the idea for the Wilbury's was born that day......not sure if it's all true though.
That is partly true. Tom did see Jeff at the red light (listening to "Got My Mind Set on You", more than likely) and they did get to talking. Not about the Wilburys, though, but about producing some demos. Throughout 1988, the Wilburys and "Full Moon Fever" were both worked on exclusively.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

JakeK wrote:Tom ended up moving to somewhere in Sherman Oaks, (I think) where it turned out Jeff's house in the US was. George would stay with him, and thus, The Wilburys/"Full Moon Fever" was born. Tom said, had it not been for his house burning down, he would have never done The Traveling Wilburys.
That should have made him Smoky Wilbury.
Ka is a wheel.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”