Classic R.E.M.

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

steverok
Intermediate Member

Classic R.E.M.

Post by steverok »

Am I correct that this is/was Mitch Easter's guitar ? I love the energy they had in the early days, with Bill Berry's quick beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLrBOAUKCo
blue330
Professional Player

Re: Classic R.E.M.

Post by blue330 »

Not mine. Interesting clip, though! I did have a burgundy 340 for awhile, and I can't remember where it went next, but it's not the one in the video.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

Well I guess that settles that !
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

This song is the place where Buck and Marr come together stylistically.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

It's good to know there are other early R.E.M. fanatics out there. The first songs I learned on acoustic were all early R.E.M. and I used to own a sizeable collection of their concert bootlegs. I stopped going to their shows in the late-80's because they adamantly refused to play any of their classic (pre-1986) material. I still think "Murmur" and "Fables of the Reconstruction" are their two greatest achievements. The good news is that over the last three years they've gotten back into their classic folk-rock mode in concert and have been returning to some of the gems in their early catalog. They even did a lovely reading of "Gardening at Night" at their Rock Hall induction!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

R.E.M. is a great band. From 1981 - 84 they were produced by a great musician/somgwriter/producer, our very own Mitch Easter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Easter
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I love I.R.S. years R.E.M. I'm also into the post I.R.S. stuff though, just not as much. Just bought the Deluxe editions of Murmur and Reckoning the same day i joined this forum. It started to make me miss my sold 330. Wow, Mitch Easter, I'm starstruck!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

blue330 wrote:Not mine. Interesting clip, though! I did have a burgundy 340 for awhile, and I can't remember where it went next, but it's not the one in the video.
A 24-fret, or 21-fret like Jim Babjak's?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

steverok wrote:Am I correct that this is/was Mitch Easter's guitar ? I love the energy they had in the early days, with Bill Berry's quick beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfLrBOAUKCo
Bill makes it look so easy.
miltric

Post by miltric »

Just bought the Deluxe editions of Murmur and Reckoning the same day i joined this forum.
Also check out their recent Live at the Olympia if you haven't already: it features ferocious yet tight versions of almost all their great pre-Green songs.
1988 360 JG, 2008 660-12 AFG, 2009 330 FG
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

I'll have to check that out.
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

miltric wrote:
Just bought the Deluxe editions of Murmur and Reckoning the same day i joined this forum.
Also check out their recent Live at the Olympia if you haven't already: it features ferocious yet tight versions of almost all their great pre-Green songs.
I'll have to check it out. The pre-Green stuff has always been my favorite R.E.M.

The clip was great!
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

miltric wrote:
+1.000.000 (pun intended) on the "Live at the Olympia" - having been to the night of July 4 gig at the Olympia I must say there are few live albums that capture the band's live spirit like this one does!

I'm eagerly awaiting the Deluxe version of Fables...
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
pocaloc

Post by pocaloc »

Does anyone know when the Deluxe version of Fables is due to be released?
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

pocaloc wrote:Does anyone know when the Deluxe version of Fables is due to be released?
My best guess would be just after summer, early autumn - with the new album coming early next year at the earliest
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”