Another album I underrated

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Another album I underrated

Post by JakeK »

This past weekend, while taking a lengthy trip, I was looking for an album that I never really listened to before. That pick was "The Last DJ". I only really listened to two songs when I first bought it in 2005 (the title track and "Man Who Loves Women"), but I listened to it in full on Saturday.

I really enjoyed it, there are some good songs on there. My favorites are "Man Who Loves Women", "Have Love, Will Travel", "Money Becomes King" and "Blue Sunday". I think I would have enjoyed "Can't Stop the Sun" if they hadn't done the extended guitar solo at the end, and could have left that for live shows.

I also have the "Live at the Olympic" DVD, which is the first time (from what I've seen) a band highlight their entire album in a concert since The Who did "Tommy", and unlike The Who, who had no break, TP and the Heartbreakers had an intermission after "Can't Stop the Sun" and about 6 songs (part of an encore, maybe?). I heard on this tour they did George Harrison's tracks "Taxman" and "Isn't It a Pity", the former which was also played at "Concert for George".

Ron Blair (who returns in this album) normally performs at all the Heartbreakers' concerts he's played with a pick, but for this DVD, he used his fingers on everything (just his index finger, really). This tour was probably the first time he used his olympic white '64 Jazz Bass (original or custom shop, I'm not sure).

Who else thinks "The Last DJ" should have been a better publicated album than it was? I can tell you for a fact, the statement is true, DJ's today don't tell you what they're playing anymore.
harley

Re: Another album I underrated

Post by harley »

I got this CD right about the time we were going on vacation and so we listened to it a lot during our travels. I think it was one of those that was defeinitely an "on the road" kind of an album. Highway Companion, for me, was like that as well. Maybe I need to take Wildflowers and Into The Great WIde Open on a road trip. ;)

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”