Discharging a Capacitor

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Discharging a Capacitor

Post by jps »

I would think that grounding the strings would make you a potential return path.
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

The issue is that stray current returns to the chassis and to the earth ground. I'm looking at what I can read about "safety guitar grounds" for strings. So far, what I'm reading generally is about noise, rather than actual safe grounding practice, but I know sometimes a capacitor (low value/high voltage) is used in series for this.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Ok, yes John, exactly what the green wire does. I was wondering if having the ground of the amp go to the ground of the outlet might make working on amps safer?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

whojamfan wrote:Ok, yes John, exactly what the green wire does. I was wondering if having the ground of the amp go to the ground of the outlet might make working on amps safer?
Working on them safer? A better ground with sloppy working habits in a high voltage circuit would provide more chances for shocks. Still, the chassis is grounded via the "third" green wire on any piece of electrical equipment that has the three wire cords, if the wiring is intact and not damaged or changed.

Or am I missing what your really intending?
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

http://www.misterfixit.com/hotnot.htm
Sort of a house wiring for dummies.
Helps illustrate hot,neutral and ground relationship.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Not quite what I was getting at, but I'll think of a better way to ask this question later.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”