Caribbean Steel band in Liverpool late 50's early 60's

History and music of Liverpool
Hambug days

Caribbean Steel band in Liverpool late 50's early 60's

Post by Hambug days »

A couple of years ago I wrote the book "The Beatles - From Cavern to Star-Club". Since then I have also been involved in the Bear Family Record CD/Book box release "Beatles Bop - Hamburg Days". Now I work on my third book about British Beat in Hamburg in the early 60’s. This book, “Echoes of Hamburg… Beatles and British Beat before the Beginning”, is the main reason I contact you. I’m keen to learn more about the Caribbean Steel band the clubs in Liverpool back in the late 50's early 60's. especially the Royal Caribbean Steel Band. / Hans
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Re: Caribbean Steel band in Liverpool late 50's early 60's

Post by opticnerve »

Hello Hans!
Welcome to the Rickenbacker Resource Forum! I'm a huge fan of your work and am honored to have contact with you. The Beatles From Cavern to Star Club is a fantastic book. Over the years, I've spent countless hours pouring through it and to this day I'm amazed at the attention to detail that is given to chronicle this one time murky period of Beatles history. If you're fascinated with the Fabs' pre-fame period as I am, this book is a "MUST HAVE"....beg, borrow, steal, whatever!

What is the name of your second book Hans? I'll hunt it down for sure. And, I'm really looking forward to the release of your new book.

Highest regards, Tony Matura
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Welcome to the forum, Hans. I, too, have your informative book.
Ka is a wheel.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

Hambug days wrote:A couple of years ago I wrote the book "The Beatles - From Cavern to Star-Club". Since then I have also been involved in the Bear Family Record CD/Book box release "Beatles Bop - Hamburg Days". Now I work on my third book about British Beat in Hamburg in the early 60’s. This book, “Echoes of Hamburg… Beatles and British Beat before the Beginning”, is the main reason I contact you. I’m keen to learn more about the Caribbean Steel band the clubs in Liverpool back in the late 50's early 60's. especially the Royal Caribbean Steel Band. / Hans
Hi Hans! I, too, have your first book and also your second work "Beatles Bop". Great stuff! I'll be looking forward to your third. There's a newer book "The Sound With The Pound" written by Manfred Kuhlmann that might be of interest to you and others on this forum. It's an anthology of the 60s' Mersey Beat groups. I picked one up while in Liverpool this summer from the author who was visiting the weekly Merseycats jam.
Hambug days

Post by Hambug days »

Hi again,

Thanks for your very kind words regarding my earlier work. The new book has been in the can for a few years now. Problem is to find the time to complete it, but I'm trying to put work into it as often as I can. I'm currently trying to learn more about the story behind the first contacts between Liverpool and Hamburg. I have my doubts that the Royal Caribbean Steel Band was the reason Williams first went over. There appear to have been several steel bands playing Liverpool in the late 50's early the 60's, but the Royal Caribbean doesn't seem to have arrived until 1961. What's needed to verify Williams story is any kind of indiaction that they actually did play Liverpool as early as 1960, so if there anyone who can add any info on that I'm very grateful. I assume Liverpool Express or Echo from the time has ads on what went on in the clubs in the city, but unfortunately I haven't been able to gain access.
Hambug days

Post by Hambug days »

PS. The second book, Beatles Bop – Hamburg Days, was released as part of the CD box ‘The Beatles with Tony Sheridan Beatles Bop – Hamburg Days’ (Bear Family Records BCD 16447 BK) back in 2001...
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

Hambug days wrote:PS. The second book, Beatles Bop – Hamburg Days, was released as part of the CD box ‘The Beatles with Tony Sheridan Beatles Bop – Hamburg Days’ (Bear Family Records BCD 16447 BK) back in 2001...
Ok, thanks!

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”