The Dirty Knobs

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
JakeK
RRF Consultant

The Dirty Knobs

Post by JakeK »

Most of us are aware of Mike's sideband, The Dirty Knobs, but has anyone here seen them live? I understand they've performed at NAMM, so maybe some of you members got to meet him? If so, what is he like?

I recently joined the Dirty Knobs official forum (the main site appears to have been hi-jacked) and from what I've gathered, last weekend, they performed at a club called Cozy's. Anybody have any info on this place?
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Re: The Dirty Knobs

Post by drumbob »

Yes, I saw the Knobs at the Viper Room a few years ago in LA and they were great. The music was 60's garagey-sounding, and veered into country a little bit at one point, but it was all good. The NAMM show was going on and I was in town for that. I had never heard of them, and my friend, who lives in Venice Beach, said, "We have to go see these guys!"
It was cool to see Mike up close and personal in a small room. I got to meet him as he came off the stage. He's one of my favorite guitarists. After the show, my friend and I cruised the Sunset Strip and wound up at Pink's for hotdogs-a classic LA hangout night. God, I wish I had been in LA in 1965, when there hundreds of bands and lots of clubs.

I just wish the Knobs would record, but apparently, Mike just wants to keep them a live band for fun.
jwargowski

Re: The Dirty Knobs

Post by jwargowski »

Arrgh ... can't believe I missed that show. I've been wanting to see his band. Cozy's is just a small blues bar on Ventura Blvd. Although I haven't been there since it remodeled, it's really just an average bar with a small stage. They have blues jams once a week, and the other nights everything from local bands to smaller touring acts. I've lived in LA for about 20 years, and it's just beginning to develop the scene where known musicians will make regular appearances at smaller clubs and bars unannounced or using pseudonyms. I've seen Pete Anderson (Dwight Yokum's longtime guitar player) at the Burbank Moose lodge and there were ten of us in attendance, including his four piece band. Come to think of it I saw Benmont Tench in another very small setting with Dave Rawlings earlier this year as well. Anyway It's nice to know that these guys are playing for fun when their not playing for profit.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”