What's YOUR attraction to Ricks?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stringsncords
Intermediate Member

What's YOUR attraction to Ricks?

Post by stringsncords »

I recently saw the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame concerts that have been showing on HBO, and did some serious guitar-watching with the following results: Over half were Fender Strats and Teles, maybe 25% were Gibsons; predominantly 335's and Les Pauls, and maybe 10 to 15% were other brands. I'm guessing, but there were probably well over 100 guitars in the house for the 2 nights of concerts.

Rickenbackers?

Not one that I could find.

I have 10 Ricks in my collection, and I think that they are the coolest guitars on the planet; there's just something about them that I find irresistable (Note: I'm a HUGE Beatles fan) whether it be the look, the sound, whatever. I'm hooked.

And I know that there are a lot of Ric-O-Philes out there, too, judging from the well-populated forums, and most of all, the 2-year backlog on most of the Rickenbacker models.

So, why is such a popular brand as Rickenbacker not more widely seen at gatherings like this? The two most obvious Rick users, Tom Petty and The Byrds, were not in attendance at these concerts. I know that Edge plays one, but not during this particular U2 set.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Bob
Last edited by stringsncords on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
electrofaro

Re: What's YOUR attraction to Ricks?

Post by electrofaro »

stringsncords wrote:Not one that I could find.
Dutch national public tv showed said shows in one go without breaks... Overall I liked the programme.

To skip to the problem of no Ricks... I am 100% sure the Edge was handed his 330/12 MG (I think it is), but when the camera shifted Mick Jagger came on to ruin SiaMYCGOF (to keep the title short :P ) and the Edge was toting another guitar...

Maybe it is because companies like Fender give away guitars to big names?

Sidenote: Why was their boo-ing when Lou Reed joined Metallica? Or did I miss interpret that bit?

Why I got my Rickenbacker 360 JG? Peter Buck from R.E.M. has one... I've always loved the sounds he gets from it... I love the shape - nothing gets close, not even another Rick. I just had to have one - it's basically the only thing I own that I'm really proud off owning - the rest is replaceable, the Rick isn't...
Last edited by electrofaro on Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

It was inside out for me, Bob. The name was on my lips, a foreign-sounding, rare sort of guitar brand. Rickenbacker. Tuxedo cosmetics and a distinct shape. I had to have one -and it wasn't until I KNEW I wanted one that I began noticing something: all the bands I loved were already playing them!

The Church, REM, Smiths, Byrds, Turtles, Beatles, the Jam, Blue Rodeo, etc. They were all playing these insanely beautiful guitars with scimitar-shaped soundholes (a few Fs) and gorgeous carved reliefs under the tailpieces.

HOOKED
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

longhouse wrote:it wasn't until I KNEW I wanted one that I began noticing something: all the bands I loved were already playing them!
I'm guilty to that as well... maybe it's something from the sound that's resonating in the brain that pleases us? :?:
scotty

Post by scotty »

Glossy fret boards,Pointy horns and i suppose everyone bought one to emulate their heroes.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

To Werner:

The crowd was saying LOOOOOOOU! - not BOOOOOOOO!

Bob
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

stringsncords wrote:The crowd was saying LOOOOOOOU! - not BOOOOOOOO!
Thanks, Bob - I really wasn't sure, it really sounded like booooo to me :oops: (the 5.1 surround connection's dead at the moment, so we had to use the standard HD tv speakers)
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

1. Wanted one since I was 15. I now have 12!

2. Dare to be different! :mrgreen:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Yes, the same thing used to happen (probably still does) at Bruce Springsteen concerts. The crowd all yelling "Brrruuuuce!" in a large arena sounds uncannily like they're booing him.
Ka is a wheel.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Lessee, roughly in order of importance:

1) The ease of playing the short scale models - these are the Ricks that I really love, and there's almost nothing else to compare from other companies. Maybe short scale Melody Maker, Mustang, and Duo-Sonic come close to this ease, but not really. 320s and 325s are like buttah.
2) The elevated fretboard - I like having some good clearance under the strings.
3) The unique tone of Ricks - I, too, grew up loving the British Invasion guitar tones.
4) The cool looks of the 3xx, 4xx, 6xx, and 4xxx series models.

And the pleasure of knowing other Rick fans is no small perk. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
harrek

Post by harrek »

I tossed around playing bass for many years (having been a musician way back in my youth in the orchestra). It
wasn't until I held that 4001CS that I felt the spark and knew that was the bass I had to have and learn to play
on. I knew Chris Squire played one. But then was quite surprised to find so many other bass artists I liked the best
also used a Rick. I've since (probably too quickly) added a few more to the collection. In addition to having one
converted to a 8 string and another (a road worn 4001CS) out to Paul for customization. If Rick made an acoustic
bass I'd be darn tempted to pick one up given some of the music the people I started playing with are doing.

So following a hero was part of attracting me I guess. But that sound (especially now through my new to me SWR
basic black amp with a basic 2-way added cabinet) is what really keeps me hooked. They also play and feel right
to me (although I don't really have any comparison to another make). Well and they do look cool and draw
attention. Kinda funny how people seem to come out of the wood work and want to handle it and express how
they always wanted a Rick.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I play Ricks because I think that the 360 OS, 360 WB, and 381 models are some of the coolest looking guitars on the planet, preferably in the boldest, flashiest colors possible. :D
britinvasion

Post by britinvasion »

Granted that I was influenced as a kid by the British groups that used them , but as a player I am attracted to them by:
Aesthetics- They are truly beautiful instruments , Construction / Craftsmanship , Comfort / Playability. But above these is the SOUND.
Nothing sounds like a Rick 12 , and the 6 strings have a kind of classic bite them that I find irresistable.
Thats what it's about for me.
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Mc Guinn
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I've told bits of this story in other threads on the RRF. But I'll try to condense it here.

1. I wanted a different kind of electric guitar. Strats and Teles, 335s and Les Pauls are fine guitars for other players I suppose. But they didn't inspire me.

2. I happened to find a few videos on Youtube of Roger McGuinn. I didn't know he was still around, let alone actively playing and touring. I remembered those jangling, chiming sounds, and I thought "Yeah, that's the one. That's the guitar I want."

That's basically it. Yeah, the cosmetic appearance is appealing, and I like the attention my 360/12 string draws. But those are really all quite tertiary reasons.

JimK

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”