That Was Then This Is Now

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

That Was Then This Is Now

Post by royclough »

As the years go by and the ensuing years means that some of our 60s favourites are no longer with us, though amazingly some still packing them in, I thought it might be a idea to compare .

Here's Wayne Fontana in 1965 and more recently , only the voice hasn't changed you could say.

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: That Was Then This Is Now

Post by sowhat »

His haircut hasn't changed that much either.
I think Wayne is a good illustration of what they call "beauty is under the skin". Or, more precisely, "true beauty doesn't go away when age and extra pounds come your way". He actually sounds much better now, in my view. And he looked kinda stoned in the 1st vid. That's kinda cute.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Thanks for sharing, Roy!
Ka is a wheel.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

He really is a superb singer isn't he. It doesn't sound like he's lost anything.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

He has lost his hair Sheena and I agree David still has the voice, I would urge anyne to check out his one and only solo album called Wayne 1 released in 68 a great album.

Regretfully Wayne has had a lot of personal problems and run in's with the law.

His website was closed down due to some rantings about a lot of things he ws putting up.

As far as I know he now lives in Alicante in Spain.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Swinging Blue Jeans part of the Merseybeat wave but no success in USA.

Still have Ray Ennis on lead vocal but he will retire in May.

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

good choice George.off top of my head I beleive only Graeme Edge reamins from line up on Go Now
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:Swinging Blue Jeans part of the Merseybeat wave but no success in USA.

Still have Ray Ennis on lead vocal but he will retire in May.

Ray is retiring Roy? Ah well that's too bad but one can't go on forever. He's another guy who still has the voice IMO. I believe I told you about how impressed I was with the band when I saw them in Hamilton, Ontario as they subbed in for Gerry and the Pacemakers on a show that also featured Terry Sylvester and Billy J Kramer.

It's unfortunate that they didn't have much success in the USA although Hippy Hippy Shake did make #24, Good Golly Miss Molly got to #43 and IMO the best of the bunch You're No Good made it only to #97 while the Hippy Hippy Shake LP made it to #90 .... all on Billboard.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NvEDAuO-Row&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NvEDAuO-Row&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

I liked the rawness of Hippy Hippy Shake (Lennon style), but their favourite with me was their cover of Bacharach/David's Don't Make Me Over. Was Terry Sylvester in the group when they recorded that one?
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

"The purpose of a man is to love a woman, and the purpose of a woman is to love a man......."

I think I hear the 'PC Police' coming....... :shock:

(That was then and this is now....)
Rickenbacker player since 1978
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No Einar don't believe Terry Sylvester had joined when they made don't make me over and agree with you probably my favourite track bar Promise You'll Tell Her of theirs.

With ray leaving in May and I understand the band getting another vocalist and carrying on as SBJ's it raises that long standing question "When a 60s group has no members left who were in the group in their hit making period, should they still carry on"
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

"When a 60s group has no members left who were in the group in their hit making period, should they still carry on"

Only if they portray themselves as a "tribute band".
Rickenbacker player since 1978
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

"When a 60s group has no members left who were in the group in their hit making period, should they still carry on"
Well, no, they shouldn't. But if they want, they can, and why not.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

royclough wrote:No Einar don't believe Terry Sylvester had joined when they made don't make me over and agree with you probably my favourite track bar Promise You'll Tell Her of theirs.

With ray leaving in May and I understand the band getting another vocalist and carrying on as SBJ's it raises that long standing question "When a 60s group has no members left who were in the group in their hit making period, should they still carry on"
Well you didn't say that originally Roy. Wow! :shock: I must admit that I'm surprised. Ray is The Swinging Blue Jeans!

I'm astonished by that news.

I'm still wondering who the Mindbenders were that I saw back in the mid / late 80's on the British Invasion package tour that came through Massey Hall in Toronto.

Freddie was Freddie, Gerry was Gerry, The Searchers were The Searchers but the Mindbenders were ??????

No offence to anybody in the current band particularly Alan Lovell who is a superb guitarist but how can it be the SBJ's without Ray Ennis?

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”