Hollies in The HOF

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Re: Hollies in The HOF

Post by dbailey62 »

sowhat wrote:
I wonder what would have happened had Tommy been alive?
No difference i'm afraid. From what i've heard, JC, Stu and Doug did play together for some party somewhere in the 80s, but not Tom. On the other hand, Tom did manage to "re-unite" CCR for a couple of songs on one of his solo albums but i doubt they were playing together (as in together) in the studio. Maybe he'd have managed to "re-unite" CCR as a trio (himself, Doug and Stu), but hardly he'd have managed to get his younger Big Brother in the team.
Sorry for going off topic.
Ya well I started it.

Ya, the four of them played on one song on Zephyr National, a great song called "Joyful Resurrection". I wish Tom had done more like this as I think this was his best solo song ... and I think you're right, JC recorded his parts separately. Stu and Doug were the rhythm section for the entire album. If he were alive, I' bet Tommy would have been part of CCRevisited.

Hey, it's on You Tube!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQzs3o6zcTc&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XQzs3o6zcTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Sorry Pete and Roy. And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

db
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, again i am very sorry guys, and sorry David, i understand you wanted to close that topic, but still cannot remain silent, sorry, sorry, sorry.
The legend of John Fogerty playing on "Joyful Resurrection", no matter how attractive it sounds (since the song tells CCR's story, after all), is only a legend (yes, i know it's in Wikipedia, i know). He didn't play solo guitar on this one, Stu Cook did. He played on a couple of others, though. Sorry, haven't managed to find a proof link yet, neither do i remember well which songs those were (Avalon and Back to Okefeenokee, if i recall correctly). :(
Sorry yet again.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Ah yes, here it goes.
http://www.onewest.net/~roxtar/fogerty_tom.html
3. Mystic Isle Avalon (2:24) - The island of Avalon, according to legend, was King Arthur's final resting place. The narrator is inviting someone to come with him across the sea to the island. Periodically the word "Avalon" is repeated several times. According to Creedence studio engineer Russ Gary, JF played lead guitar on this song.
<...>
7. Joyful Resurrection (3:31) - This is the one song from the whole album in which Tom does throaty, JF-like vocals. Since former Creedence bandmates Stu Cook and Doug Clifford participated with Tom in this song, Creedence (minus JF) was briefly resurrected, so the title is a fitting one. (CTPB, JF did not play lead guitar here; Stu did.)
Back to the topic, i wonder — maybe this question will sound too stupid, but still: what does RRHOF introduction actually mean to the artist, why is it that important, even much more important than a scheduled concert that people (listeners, fans, perhaps a lot of them) are waiting for?
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

Ah well, sorry to hear that John wasn't on there. I gS read it In the liner notes of the Best of Tom Fogerty.

Hey, it really doesn't matter to me if he didn't. JC may have had some very, very valid beefs with his bandmates but with the HOF thing, he really did go too far.

In regards to what it means to the artist, the one person I know who is going to be inducted has said that he believes it to be the highest recognition a rock and roll musican can receive.

Many will disagree with that but those are his feelings on the subject.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Don't know how many people saw the actual induction and music thereafter...it turned out to be something of a let down. Terry Sylvester began singing a verse of "Long Cool Woman" when the mike was rather obnoxiously taken out of his hands. It was certainly good seeing Allan and Graham together again, and the surprise of the evening was seeing Eric Haydock. But Allan's voice was noticeably mixed down--I could barely hear him--and when I did it sounded rough. Terry did get a good joke in "We started in the '60's...and now we're all in our 60's!". Graham was on good form as always, but the overall vibe struck me as being rather tense, I'd be interested in knowing how others felt.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Slightly self indulgent here perhaps but if you want to sss Hollies in HOF here you go - Need a spare half hour though

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

I enjoyed watching this! Especially to see Haydock and Calvert, what kind of relationship do they have between them? Ever the men in the shadow. Eric beerdrinking, charming, stuttering without losing control, and Bernie emotional and modest, obviously a very big moment for him. Very well deserved. Graham in control of course, thanking his agents, wife and family. Terry,relaxed, casual, verbally punchy! Alan obviously didn't make any speech. For some reason. I find it a little bit strange that noone even mentioned Rickfors- both Calvert and Sylvester were in the group with him. I hope they all are friends, though the "Long Cool Woman" incidents seem a little awkard. Terry sure is a better singer and speaker than he dances!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes Einar and nice Graham Nash mentioned Don Rathbone.

Now let's get The Searchers recognised
modrock

Post by modrock »

Agreed Roy, the Hall of Fame is arbitrary at best, and if any group deserves to be there, it's The Searchers ! :)

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”