Converting DAT to CD

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jimk
RRF Consultant

Converting DAT to CD

Post by jimk »

Many years ago, back at the dawn of digital recording, and before CDs were commonplace, (in a galaxy far, far, away) I recorded an album which I issued on cassette tape. I got an email from a fan wondering if that recording had ever been re-released on CD. (It hasn't.) So that got me to wondering if I still had the original DAT master. (I do. Found it in a box high up on a closet shelf.) Does anyone know of a place where I can get that DAT remastered onto CD? The last time I played a copy of the tape (I still have a boxful of the cassettes.) I thought to myself "Well, at least you didn't soil yourself." There might be a few folks who'd be interested in obtaining a copy if I had it on CD. (This was recorded in the year circa 20 BRE [Before Rickenbacker Era]. So no Ricks are present on the recording.)

JimK
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: Converting DAT to CD

Post by blueflamerick »

I'd imagine that places like Disc Makers still have DAT equipment and would accept it.

I might be able to do it for you. I have an old DAT player that still works and a sound card with digital inputs. Let me play around with it this week.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

If your request was just a couple of years back, JIm, I could have helped you out. I held onto my old DAT recorder/player for the longest. It was part of a rack system I had along with a Denon CD/recorder. But alas, I realized I was never going to use it again, and sold it piecemeal.
Not much help to you now though. I too, still have a batch of old DAT tapes and they have no where to go :D
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

blueflamerick wrote:I'd imagine that places like Disc Makers still have DAT equipment and would accept it.

I might be able to do it for you. I have an old DAT player that still works and a sound card with digital inputs. Let me play around with it this week.
I was looking at a recent Discmakers catalog and wondering if they could do it. Let me know what you come up with. PM if necessary.
JimK
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

If Erik can't do it, check your local yellow pages. A quick Google search showed a bunch of companies in England and Canada :roll: but when I refined it to '"digital audio tape" to cd transfer services', I got this San Diego (California) based company:

http://www.sdav.com/audio_services_san_ ... to_CD.html
DAT (Digital Audio Tape) Transfer to CD

San Diego Audio Video can also transfer DAT to CD.

# of Masters 1+ 5+ 10+ 25+ 50+
DAT $40 $35 $30 $27 $25
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Thanks, Gary!
JimK
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Most any recording studio will still have DAT players. Check your local yellow pages. If you can't find anything let me know. I still have my PortaDAT packed up somewhere. My old Panny 3800 died long ago and was not worth the $350 bucks to fix it when I get almost no DATs in these days.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Thanks to all who responded. I got a hot tip in my message box earlier today. Somebody called Lone Wolf Studio & Productions in my home town does this service. So I'm going to check 'em out tomorrow.
JimK
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Jim, I still have two working DAT recorders and do CD mastering. Let me know if I can help.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I'm investigating an outfit called Lone Wolf Productions here in Lawrence, KS. I'll let you know how that works out in any event. Thanks for all the responses.
JimK
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Cool, Jim! 8)

Now if it were called Bad Wolf Productions ... then that would have been right up my alley! (Doctor Who fans will get this ... apologies to the rest of you!)
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

doctorwho wrote:Cool, Jim! 8)

Now if it were called Bad Wolf Productions ... then that would have been right up my alley! (Doctor Who fans will get this ... apologies to the rest of you!)
Another Whovian here! 11th Doctor this month!
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Actually next month!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

C0ldf1re wrote:I think it's called serendipity when you find something useful while looking for something else entirely.

"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca" was exactly the quote I've been waiting for!
Glad to help you out with that! :D
rikk wrote:Actually next month!
Yep, I've been trying to catch up with all the latest episodes (the four newer series on DVD, and the later specials I recorded) in anticipation of that. I tended to watch the episodes piece-meal on SyFy, out of sequence, so I really needed to see them in sequence. Still have a ways to go ... better find my gravitic anomalyzer ... :D :lol:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

rikk wrote:
doctorwho wrote:Cool, Jim! 8)

Another Whovian here! 11th Doctor this month!
Hey Rikk, check out the Doctor Who quiz mentioned in this older thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=379011

The link is still active, and the author has updated the quiz to include Christopher Eccleston's portrayal (The Ninth Doctor).

P.S. I retook the quiz, but I'm still Colin Baker! :lol:

Return to “Trivia”