Secrets of Good Lighting in Guitar Photography

Capturing Guitar images
Grey
Advanced Member

Re: Secrets of Good Lighting in Guitar Photography

Post by Grey »

I work in Graphic Design so part of that particular image is post-work in Photoshop. I also have a budding intrest in photography.

I use a Nikon P80 setup on a tripod, and then adjust the exposure, focous, and white balance manually on the camera. For macro photography and such, i.e closeups I use the manual focous and framing on the camera. It has a grid overlay toggle on the viewfinder which is really handy for making sure its properly framed.

I use natural lighting for almost all of my shots. Camera flashes wash out the image and can create bad lens flare in reflections. Simply standing back and zooming in is not the solution. Most cheap cameras have a digital zoom which simply enlarges the photo, as opposed to having a lens which actaully extends.

A good tripod can make a huge difference. To make sure I don't get any jitter in my shots I also use a timer on the shutter so that i'm not touching the camera or the tripod when it takes the photo.

When I do use it, typically I use Photoshop to adjust color balance or add hilighting. Here's a 'before and after' of the raw camera image and after post-work in Photoshop.

Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Some experiment stuff.

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Hmm, shows the chip and the scratch really well...
I'd think a bigger depth of field to get the fretboard into focus would look better...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

cjj wrote:Hmm, shows the chip and the scratch really well...
I'd think a bigger depth of field to get the fretboard into focus would look better...
I put it out of focous on purpose, I wanted to draw maximum attention to the horn.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I figured that was the case, and you did accomplish that nicely. I just think it would look nicer with the whole instrument in focus. Just my opinion...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice work on the background.

Perception=the hard knocks and scrapes of life? :lol: :mrgreen:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

cjj wrote:I figured that was the case, and you did accomplish that nicely. I just think it would look nicer with the whole instrument in focus. Just my opinion...
Possibly, but then again this was really a test more than anything else.

I fell in love with the body design from day 1. I know it's the iconic bass guitar shape, but in my opinion it's one of the most elegant guitars Rickenbacker has ever made. The smooth and elegant curves, the cresting wave headstock, classic Ric tailpiece. It's one of those designs that just 'works'. It can be elegant and classy for Jazz and Blues, or sharp and abstract for Rock and Punk.

I'm learning more and more about photography along the way, so i'll probably wind up with a whole mess of experimental photos and a 'cream of the crop' series with the best parts of each attempt combined. After all, part of the fun of owning a Ric is showing it off. 8)

The 'perception' title was both a play on the sharp contrast between the guitar and the background, and the interpretation of 'damage' to a guitar among players. Some people would see that and feel depressed, others nostalgia.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Bring 'em on! I love seeing photographic ideas of others, even if I don't always think the same way. Aw heck, I'm nowhere near anything like a critic, I just like things in certain ways. I really do like and appreciate that last picture, but for some reason the out of focus part bothers me. But that's just me...
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

I like your Photo-shopped accents on the shading and coloring.
Very nice AutumnGlo ? color on that baby. :D
Show us some more of your cool photo works !
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I thought that I'd add to this thread one of my pictures from the "Take the reds" thread.
Left to right:  4000FL BG, 4003S SPC Redneck, 610 Ruby, 4001 Ruby
Left to right: 4000FL BG, 4003S SPC Redneck, 610 Ruby, 4001 Ruby
I accomplished the desired degree of differentiation among the shades of reds represented by these examples (the colors are pretty close to the actual shades). This was done (obviously) in full sun, around mid-day. My camera is an Olympus Evolt E-500, and I used the default auto settings (IIRC).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

cjj wrote:Now that, I like! The tonal qualities of the guitar blend nicely with the table! :D

I'm developing a serious case of RAS for a 480 for some reason... :(
Same here - I'm sad I sold mine and not kept it to be refretted and refnished!

I'm still a n00b when it comes to taking pictures though, even dspite all the great advice here :oops:
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I think i've seen that set before Gary. I love the reds, and that fretless model espically. That's gotta be a rare bird.

Since somebody asked I do have another one I took a while back. This one is just a casual shot, no added touchups.

The headstock has a really nice flame to it on the side which I need to get a good picture of, you can sort of see it here.

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Great composition in that picture! Of course, that guitar is absolutely gorgeous, too! :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I like the nice bokeh of the couch. 8) :wink: :mrgreen:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Ooh, ooh, new word! So that's what you call that!

I really like the way the bass and the table are in focus, all the wood grain stuff in fact, and the rest fuzzy... Oh yeah, I'm a confirmed wood freak, I almost forgot...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Photography By RRF Members: by Jeffrey Scott”