Histophysiology.

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cassius987

Histophysiology.

Post by cassius987 »

If anyone is noticing my extra-early-in-the-morning-style posting, it's because I'm taking breaks from studying for an exam in Histophysiology in five or so hours. I've honestly spent forty or fifty hours studying just for this exam; I don't think I've ever taken coursework this seriously before. Then again, as I told the professor, even I fail this class I'll still feel like I've learned the material better in this one semester than I have learned many related things over the course of several years. Dr. David Orlicky, if any of you know of him (fairly well known pathologist), is a great teacher and a great scientist.

Back to the books...
collin

Re: Histophysiology.

Post by collin »

Joshua---well done for all the studying, and good luck on the exam. I'm sure the hard work will pay off. :wink:

It's the most excruciating time of the year for anybody involved in higher education. I just finished finals this morning and had to go out and celebrate tonight--It's my last week of school today, having completed two bachelor's degrees (I graduate on Sunday).....at least until I decide on grad school. :roll:

Are you working on a Masters or something?

Huge props to you for the commitment and dedication that studying is taking out of you. I know others on the forum are suffering similar levels of torture (like Paul A. who just finished his first semester of law school). Hard work will pay off!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

How well I remember those sorts of study sessions... Keep at it Joshua, you'll do fine. Best of luck on the exam!

And Collin, congrats on your upcoming graduation!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

Histowhositwhatnow?
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I managed to pull off a B. :) Believe it or not I'm extremely happy about that... this exam felt like Judgement Day. Thanks for the positive thoughts! I was quaking in my boots until I got the grade back. Now to prepare for prelims...

Collin, I'm just wrapping up my first year in the Toxicology Ph.D. program at UC Denver. As of mid-June, assuming I pass my prelims, I'll be doing research the vast majority of the time. Right now I wear three hats as a student, a teacher's assistant, and a rotational researcher... Oh, and congrats on the degrees!

Clint, histophysiology is a combined discipline that merges the study and characterization of tissues (the "histo" bit) with understanding the functional role of tissues as the primary endpoint (the "physiology" bit).
collin

Post by collin »

cassius987 wrote:
Collin, I'm just wrapping up my first year in the Toxicology Ph.D. program at UC Denver.

Right on! We'll be calling you Dr. Chandler before ya know it....

Toxicology, eh? Sounds like what I studied after I turned 21.... :lol:

Congrats, I'm glad the exam went well, big relief I bet!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Good luck with your studies, Dr. Joshua. I was once offered a position in a Histology lab back in NY. Sometimes I think I should have taken it.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Good to hear Joshua!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I took the prelim from this class yesterday (a cumulative follow-up I have to pass to be considered for a Ph.D.) and got a 91%... very pleased about that in the context of this class. This is the first time in a long time that I've truly felt a sense of accomplishment about completing coursework, rather than the usual apathy. But most exciting is that now I can continue onto my research... assuming that I pass my remaining prelims.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Congratulations! :D And good luck on all the rest of 'em!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cjj wrote:Congratulations! :D And good luck on all the rest of 'em!
+1 :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:
cjj wrote:Congratulations! :D And good luck on all the rest of 'em!
+1 :)
+2 :D
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Congrats to both Joshua and Collin!

Joshua, with a Ph.D. in Toxicology, does that mean you will try to get a DABT? I've worked with a couple of toxicologists who got that certification. I took the "sample test" at the ABT website and didn't do that well, but then again, I am only a chemist!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
brammy

Post by brammy »

For a while there as a teenager I worked toward a Ph.D. in Toxicology :roll:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

For a while there as a teenager I worked toward a Ph.D. in Toxicology
(brammy)
Heyyyy,,,,,I think I remember you dude!!! :D