Copping Squire with Sansamp VT Bass pedal?

The genius of Chris Squire
KenOnBass

Copping Squire with Sansamp VT Bass pedal?

Post by KenOnBass »

I did a search and didn't find much info about how people are using this pedal. I just got a Sansamp VT Bass pedal and have a programmable bass driver arriving tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone's using the former for getting the Squire sound. I just test drove it and it sounds very good and with tweaking I'm feeling like I can probably come the closest I've ever been. Anybody using the VT Bass pedal for this same result?
woodyng

Re: Copping Squire with Sansamp VT Bass pedal?

Post by woodyng »

well it would make sense-chris has been using svts as part of his live rig for some time,so the sansamp should be similar sounding.....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Check out some of the demo songs on my band's website for my tone with a VT Bass and a former '08 4003 that had toaster & vintage magnetic horseshoe pickups on it. In particular, check out Enjoy The Silence and Kryptonite. It sounds especially good with great headphones. :wink:

http://www.thekarmakings.com/Karma_Demos.html

Here is the bass on those songs, with TI Jazz Rounds on it for the recording.
Len

Post by Len »

Hey Jeff, that's my bass!

Seriously, I was thinking about the VT Bass pedal this weekend. I've been trying out bass amps recently, and the only one that gave me the CS sound was the Ampeg BA 300. But I didn't like the amp overall. It just did not feel right. So I'm thinking, I want the CS sound, maybe I can get an amp that is "clean" and add the pedal for the sound I like. Thanks for the suggestion!
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

My only complaint about the box so far...and maybe it's just user error...is that I'd like to blend in more of my clean signal. I know I can split the signal with a couple DOD or Rolls mixer boxes, but I don't need the hassle. I still need to line up my Malekko B:Assmaster, Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz, VT Bass, and programmable Bass driver and have them duke it out. ONE of these will get it. If I had to guess though, for convenience and simplicity, the VT seems like a good SVT in a box tone and close to Squire tone.
Len wrote:Hey Jeff, that's my bass!

Seriously, I was thinking about the VT Bass pedal this weekend. I've been trying out bass amps recently, and the only one that gave me the CS sound was the Ampeg BA 300. But I didn't like the amp overall. It just did not feel right. So I'm thinking, I want the CS sound, maybe I can get an amp that is "clean" and add the pedal for the sound I like. Thanks for the suggestion!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Len wrote:So I'm thinking, I want the CS sound, maybe I can get an amp that is "clean" and add the pedal for the sound I like. Thanks for the suggestion!
This will also give you more options in the long run. 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Len wrote:Hey Jeff, that's my bass!
Why, so it is! :shock: :D
clankchris

Post by clankchris »

I have their Tri-A.C. - it's a guitar or bass pedal and you can save three presets - I find it works excellent for aggressive grind.

I love the edge Tech 21 products put on a direct-recorded sound - it's excellent.

The playing is very sloppy, so please don't beat me up too much. I made that riff right before I was about to go to bed, after messing with my new interface for hours and being aggravated by it(it's my first "recording" anything).
I hit "record" so I wouldn't forget what I came up with.

Tech 21 w/Boss Space Echo pedal, direct, on '02 4003 and year-old Lo-Riders(hope the download link works):

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmwxm5dlxem
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I have a VT, I can get what I call a good "Squireish" sound, not exact, but close enough for me.
"Knowledge is Power"
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Very nice!
clankchris wrote:I have their Tri-A.C. - it's a guitar or bass pedal and you can save three presets - I find it works excellent for aggressive grind.

I love the edge Tech 21 products put on a direct-recorded sound - it's excellent.

The playing is very sloppy, so please don't beat me up too much. I made that riff right before I was about to go to bed, after messing with my new interface for hours and being aggravated by it(it's my first "recording" anything).
I hit "record" so I wouldn't forget what I came up with.

Tech 21 w/Boss Space Echo pedal, direct, on '02 4003 and year-old Lo-Riders(hope the download link works):

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmwxm5dlxem
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

According to the Chris Squire amplification thread - http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/view ... 0&t=353003 - he often used a Vox AC30 in the studio, at least up to the 80s and maybe beyond. Since a lot of us associate the CS sound to what we hear on Yes albums, you might want to check out the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal too which is their Vox emulator.

I've just snagged one and the 'British' too, both 2nd hand, and I'm going to experiment with those 2 running ROS through them for fun :mrgreen:
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Let us know how it goes. I experimented with ROS for a while and found that it sounded best when I ran the OD off the bridge pickup into a stereo amp set-up (i.e. Alembic F2B into a Crest CA-9) and then into a 115. I'd then run the neck pick-up clean on the other channel into a 210 with tweeter.
stevebasshead wrote: I've just snagged one and the 'British' too, both 2nd hand, and I'm going to experiment with those 2 running ROS through them for fun :mrgreen:
RicOSoundMan

Post by RicOSoundMan »

[quote="KenOnBass"] (i.e. Alembic F2B into a Crest CA-9)

Another F2B out there??????.... :lol: thought i was the only one who heard of those.

I still have mine, Is great bass, straight neck and actions is awesome. For a piano company Kawai made some pretty good and dependable basses and guitars.
My Ric Basses are:
76' 3000 MG ---09' 4003 MG
77' 3001 MG ---92' 2060 FG
77' 4001 Jetglo---93' 2060 FG
Other
08' Fender "Geddy Lee" Sig. Jazz Bass
82' Kawai F-II-B
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Actually, I'm talking about the Alembic F2B two-channel preamp. Great for use with ROS. The Kawai is a fine bass though.

RicOSoundMan wrote:
KenOnBass wrote: (i.e. Alembic F2B into a Crest CA-9)

Another F2B out there??????.... :lol: thought i was the only one who heard of those.

I still have mine, Is great bass, straight neck and actions is awesome. For a piano company Kawai made some pretty good and dependable basses and guitars.
clankchris

Post by clankchris »

stevebasshead wrote:According to the Chris Squire amplification thread - http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/view ... 0&t=353003 - he often used a Vox AC30 in the studio, at least up to the 80s and maybe beyond. Since a lot of us associate the CS sound to what we hear on Yes albums, you might want to check out the Tech 21 Liverpool pedal too which is their Vox emulator.

I've just snagged one and the 'British' too, both 2nd hand, and I'm going to experiment with those 2 running ROS through them for fun :mrgreen:
I knew there was a reason I used the "Brit" channel on my Tri-A.C. - the instruction manual says it emulates the "Vox" and "Marshall" tones. The other two channels are Cali(Mesa) and Tweed(Fender) - I couldn't get the top-end grind I wanted with them. I'd definitely go with a Vox or Marshall emulator.

I liked tone I heard here a lot - it's one of my fave clips of Squire - love the delay and Nirvana-ish energy(oh no!) around the 2 min mark:

And thanks Ken, for the kind words=)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”