Copping Squire with Sansamp VT Bass pedal?

The genius of Chris Squire
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Copping Squire with Sansamp VT Bass pedal?

Post by jps »

Soitenly! :D

I hope they help in your quest.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

A little boost on the mids , a little drive ,some fresh roundwound strings and low action will get you close to the CS tone. Work on your picking technique as well. Alot of what Squire does is in his hands.
"Knowledge is Power"
Ommadawn

Post by Ommadawn »

Thank you Jeffrey and Scott! :wink:

Scott : Did you reveive my email?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

When did you email me?? I didnt see it. I've been getting alot of junk email lately, I may have accidently deleted it....

Back to the VT. Its a great pedal. Very subtle. Its one of those "I really like what it does to my tone,, but I just cant put a finger on what it does" pedals. I sold mine,, picked up a Para-driver, which I like alot,, and will get a VT deluxe soon.
"Knowledge is Power"
Ommadawn

Post by Ommadawn »

No problem, I just sent you a pm ;)

I own a VT Bass Deluxe, it's great! There's a parallel dry output wich can be useful for Chris Squire stereo sound, I'm working on this ;)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The VT Bass Deluxe does offer some nice options that the standard VT Bass does not have. 8)
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Post by VRICKY63 »

Mr Squire also uses an ART SGX Nightbass rack. I wonder what SGX patch he uses ? Could it be the one called Rickenfaker or the squire ?
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

VRICKY63 wrote:Mr Squire also uses an ART SGX Nightbass rack. I wonder what SGX patch he uses ? Could it be the one called Rickenfaker or the squire ?
I know nothing about the Nightbass as I've never seen one before, so please don't laugh at me if you were joking about those presets and I just missed it. :oops: But that being said, if those are real presets, I'd be surprised if he uses either one of them as said preset would sort of be designed to compensate for not having all of the other gear he has to achieve his tone naturally. Though perhaps the "Squire" preset is modeled on his personal settings, which would be really cool. Anything to aid in the effort of stealing his increddible tone. :lol:
Bass guitarist, flautist, guitarist, and vocalist
amalgameffect.bandcamp.com
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
PRS SE Santana (w/piezo) Electric Guitar
Taylor GC3 Acoustic Guitar
Powell Silhouette Flute
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

And though my knowledge of pedals and preamps and whatnot is limited, I will say that if you're trying to achieve Chris Squire's tone, the most important things are HIS two constants: a fresh set of Rotosound Swing 66 stainless steels, and a pick, used by essentially choking up on it until the side of your thumb gets almost as much action as the pick does. The only reason I stress these things so much is because he has changed his rig over the years, and he's used different basses (J-Basses, Thunderbirds, the MPC Electra etc.) But he ALWAYS sounds like Squire. (well, maybe not so much on 90125, but I try to forget that happened :wink: ) So yeah, there's my two cents. I know it's been said all over this forum, but it really is the most important part. Happy tone hunting! :)
Bass guitarist, flautist, guitarist, and vocalist
amalgameffect.bandcamp.com
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
PRS SE Santana (w/piezo) Electric Guitar
Taylor GC3 Acoustic Guitar
Powell Silhouette Flute
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

i just bought an EBS BASSIQ pedal,and was messing around with it this evening. i had the VT character/drive settings cranked,and an ART PHATBOY on the flanger/delay setting. i tried out a few "tormato" riffs and also "into the storm". i think you can definitely get in the ballpark tone wise,using the vt. It is so good that it makes me wonder about tech 21's VOX and Marshall emulators,too.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”