US V UK

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK

Post by royclough »

Hope to get some interest on this topic, here's a song that was a hit in US in 62 for Johnny Crawford made number 8 in US but over here in UK did nothing.

The version was covered by Shane Fenton and The Fentones in UK and made number 19

So question is which did you prefer my vote goes to Shane anyday.

Could be you don't like either but that's not an option!

US Hit

UK hit
admin
Site Admin

Re: US V UK

Post by admin »

Roy: I am not sure either of these should have been a hit but the charts have spoken. :lol:

To me the US version is an arrangement that is in keeping with the very successful "girl groups" of the 1960s both in theme and presentation. The UK version certainly capitalizes on the success of the instro groups of the day, sort of Fenton meets Marvin.

A great introduction to Clough Classics that allows us to compare "notes" on both sides of the Atlantic. Thanks for this!

The British version is shorter and sweeter in my view and so I have to give the nod to Shane Fenton on this version.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

I used to love Shane Fenton and The Fentones, especially I'm A Moody Guy... so Shane Fenton gets my vote Roy! :D

I saw him on Loose Women last week as he's got a new album out and a UK tour and he's looking good for his age!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Sylvia. I look forward to your posts here. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

admin wrote:Welcome Sylvia. I look forward to your posts here. :)
Aww thanks Peter... I have joined twice before but had forgotten my password/user name, so today I rejoined in another name! :D

Let's hope it's third time lucky and that I can remember my name and password in future! :D
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

I'll go with Shane Fenton on this one, mainly due to the Shadows style guitar. Johnny Crawford's version is not bad but it sounds like a standard Brill Building record to me.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks Jeff for your contribution
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

GREAT guitar sounds on the Shane Fenton version.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jeff: The "Brill Building" nails it.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Shane Fenton any day of the week Roy. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

winston wrote:Shane Fenton any day of the week Roy. :D
Me too! :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

admin wrote:Jeff: The "Brill Building" nails it.
Peter; Sounds like this one came off the assembly line...:) Roy; do you know who wrote the song? I'd be interested to know if it's a Goffin-King tune or maybe Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jeff: It was written by Hal Winn and Jeffrey Hooven. It seems that the lyrics may have been written by the Mouseketeer himself, Johnny Crawford. Details at eleven! :)

You may remember him as Mark McCain on the Rifleman.

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/johnny.htm

JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Thanks Peter, I did a search on Winn & Hooven and found out they were a songwriting production team who later owned Double Shot records, the label that brought us "Psychotic Reaction" by the Count Five.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”