Misheard Lyrics

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
NFB-418

Re: Misheard Lyrics

Post by NFB-418 »

I went to high school with a girl who honestly thought the chorus to a Bob Marley song was "I Shop for Sharon."
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

In The Beatles She Loves You, I always heard "Why's it hers to do, apologize to her" instead of the "Pride can hurt you too, apologize to her." My Mom always thought Roy Orbison was singing about "Tony Baloney" (Only The Lonely)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

In the early '70's, there was a minor hit by Albert Hammond called "I'm a Train". Never heard it? Not surprising. Anyway, some guy came up to the band back then and asked us to play "You're a Train". There was a brief Abbott & Costello exchange of "You mean 'I'm a Train'?" "No, I mean 'You're a train'" that went on for a while. We finally asked the guy how it went..... He started singing, "You're a train, you prob'ly think this song is about you".
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

In the early '80's there was a New Wave group called Berlin that had a hit song called The Metro. One of the lines was "and you were waiting there, swimming through apologies."

I always heard it as "you were waiting there, swimming through a pile of cheese".

But hey, it was the '80's!
NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

I thought of another. My co-worker likes John Mayer and she frequently plays his music in the office. There's a line from the song "83" where he says "Make me a red cape, I wanna be Superman." She thought he was saying "Make me a rat cage..."
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

In the Rolling Stones' As Tears Go By, I heard the words in the last verse, "they think are new" as "they think me of you" ... :roll: :lol:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
simo9

Post by simo9 »

Always heard the White Wing Dove as "Just like a one-winged dove."
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

You wouldn't believe the number of Rolling Stones songs I've butchered the lyrics to... :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

Danotron wrote:In the early '80's there was a New Wave group called Berlin that had a hit song called The Metro. One of the lines was "and you were waiting there, swimming through apologies."
:lol: :lol:

My college english professor (Chris Ruiz) used to the be the guitar player for Berlin. Wrote half that hit album etc...true story! :)
octagon

Post by octagon »

I always thought the opening lyric to this song was " I've been eating mangos".That is the way it sounded on a the AM radio in my car.
collin

Post by collin »

octagon wrote:I always thought the opening lyric to this song was " I've been eating mangos".

See, I always got that line, but I used to think the second line ("where're you from?") was "When in Rome....you sexy thing" :lol: :lol:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I once thought it was "I believe in manacles", which kind of goes with the vibe of the song....
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
gregga41
RRF Consultant

Post by gregga41 »

Google Australian Crawls "Beautiful people", and if you can get any of the lyrics right on first hearing the song.....I'll be :o and :shock:
I always thought the first line of this song was ...."You, you will be born".
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I see this thread has expanded to include "mangled lyrics" that some of use wiseguys sing in place of the real word. Here are a couple of mine:

- In graduate school, when I would came back to the lab from the ice machine with a bucket of ice, I would start singing, " ... Oh, Temptation Ice, looking though my my my soul ..."

- When singing the chorus to Down On The Corner, I sing "Down on the corner, Audi in the street ..."
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
brammy

Post by brammy »

I keep hearing Secret Asian Man
When in the band in Hawaii, we used to intentionally sing it that way.... nobody picked up on it.

And how about one of the most famous ones:
Its such a feeling that my love, I cant hide, I cant hide, I cant hide. ...

Which sounded like "I get high"

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”