There's more to the world than guitars!

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

There's more to the world than guitars!

Post by elreydlp »

Such as:

Hmmm-the Drummer, Bass Player, Guitarist, and Organist look familiar......................
winston
Membership Admin

Re: There's more to the world than guitars!

Post by winston »

Yes all became famous just a little later on..............
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

mmmmmmmm ggggggg cool post Skip!
collin

Post by collin »

winston wrote:Yes all became famous just a little later on..............

They already were famous when this video was shot! BT&MGs played off/on as themselves and also the Stax backing band in studio and out.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Believe that's Duck playing Sax..not Bass?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

collin wrote:
winston wrote:Yes all became famous just a little later on..............

They already were famous when this video was shot! BT&MGs played off/on as themselves and also the Stax backing band in studio and out.
Perhaps they were in the USA, at least to some degree. The Mar-Keys were formed in the late 50's and IIRC Booker T and The MG's big hit Green Onions was released in 1962. That's when I believe individual members of this band became universally recognised as being great and their contributions with respect to Stax, Volt and other record companies became more widely known outside of the USA.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

That's definitely Duck on Bass. I saw him on tour with Clapton. He played with a Sherlock Holmes-style pipe hanging out of his mouth the whole show. The next tour was when Claptn hooked up with San Diegan Nathan East-a really great guy. I have played with Nathan's younger brother James who's every bit as nice and damned near as good as Nathan.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Right you are..I had a depth of field moment w/the sax player and Duck :mrgreen:
Last edited by kenposurf on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I met James East at a weekly jam session where most of the players were Blues guys. James and drummer Dwayne Hathorn were a solid and funky house rhythm section. One night, while the Blues guys were discussing who was going to play next, James said, "Hey Skip-let's play a couple of Surf tunes while they figure out what they're doing". I called out "Baja", and they nailed it; followed by "Pipeline"-again they put a lot of "working" Surf rhythm sections to shame. When we finished, Dwayne said, "Man, I love that s__t"!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Here are Duane and James in more "normal" surroundings:

Dwayne with his band "Aunt Kizzy's Boyz" at the 2006 International Blues Conference where the finished second in the "Band" category.

and James' Myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/jameseastmusic

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”