325C58 tuning and setup question

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tofek

Re: 325C58 tuning and setup question

Post by Tofek »

Hello,
I didn't want to make a new topic but here's my question. I'm not quite satisfied with my 325c58 setup. I currently have Pyramid true vintage 13's flatwounds. The problem is, whatever I do ONLY the B string keeps buzzing. I checked the bowtie which seems ok, and the nut is new (made by my luthier). My luthier says the neck is ok, but I can't judge that. I can't see where the problem is, could you help me please?
Thanks in advance.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

Any advice?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you tell where is the B string buzzing at?

You may want to post this in the Vibrola section, also, if you haven't, already.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

The buzzing comes from the neck, and if I push a little on the string beyond the nut, it is less audible, but still present. I have a custom made nut (from bone), that was my luthier's attempt at preventing the buzzing... :roll:
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Loose truss rod?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Have you looked for any high/worn frets?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Tofek wrote:The buzzing comes from the neck, and if I push a little on the string beyond the nut, it is less audible, but still present. I have a custom made nut (from bone), that was my luthier's attempt at preventing the buzzing... :roll:
You said "and if I push a little on the string beyond the nut" -- does that mean you are pushing on the string beyond the fretboard between the nut and the tuning post?

If the buzzing happens when the B string is not fretted, and the buzzing is less audible when you fret the string at the first fret, my guess is that the nut slot is cut too deep.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

Thanks for your answers
Loose truss rod?
Do you mean that the neck could be too bowed ?
Have you looked for any high/worn frets?
I didn't, could you tell me how to see that ?
You said "and if I push a little on the string beyond the nut" -- does that mean you are pushing on the string beyond the fretboard between the nut and the tuning post?

If the buzzing happens when the B string is not fretted, and the buzzing is less audible when you fret the string at the first fret, my guess is that the nut slot is cut too deep.
I meant between the tuning post and the nut, when I push a little the string to the head, it buzzes LESS (but it still does). The buzzing occurs when not fretted and when fretted too. I hope the nut is ok, because it is custom made and I hope I didn't pay for nothing (if not for worse). :roll:
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

This is how it sounds. First is the B string unfretted, second is the E string. This is recorded by direct in. http://stormakers.free.fr/Krystof_files/buzz.mp3
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So it buzzes even at the 12th fret, right? Does it buzz higher than that? If so, then it is most likely a bridge related issue.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

No, it stops buzzing around the 10th fret and after.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the neck, perhaps, too flat as to relief? Try loosening the truss rod on that side of the neck slightly, maybe 1/8th of a turn, and see whether that helps.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I've heard if the truss rod is totally slack, the adjustment nut can rattle with the strings. Also I've had some guitars with tuners that rattled. Keep trying - I know how frustrating it can be, but try to test and eliminate everything that might be loose.
Tofek

Post by Tofek »

I'll try to check what you said. Thanks a lot for your help :wink:

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”