Twist And Grind

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Twist And Grind

Post by kenposurf »

Known as one of the best current instro bands, this vocal complete w/combo organ really has that garage feel..viva Los Straitjackets!
duke

Re: Twist And Grind

Post by duke »

Wow! Takes me back to the '60s, when go-go girls were the "in" thing!

I was in a garage band in the mid '60s and we actually had a faux go-go girl dance at one of our gigs. We were playing at a private party, in a house that had old bouncy hardwood floors. The gal who was putting on the party wanted to be a go-go girl for the night. She hired us, so we went along with it. Well, our pretty go-go girl really put on a show and danced like crazy all night. She was good. Trouble was (for me) she insisted on dancing right in front of my brand-spanking-shiny-new '65 Ludwigs.

Man, I kid you not, she was sweating something fierce and it was flying all over the place. I was terrified that she was going to soak my drums. She didn't weigh much, but enough to bounce that old floor. Back in those days the cymbal stands had short legs, not like the monsters of today. My cymbals were swaying like trees in a hurricane. Between sets, and several times during sets, I politely asked her to move. She did, but always gravitated back in front of my drums. It wasn't my playing that attracted her...she just bounced back like a yo-yo...maybe a low spot in the floor. I spent the whole night worrying about her destroying my drums.

Everything turned out OK, though. Despite my worries, I got to watch a pretty go-go girl do her thing right in front of me, the party seemed to go well and ... we got paid. :D

The equipment survived. I still have those brand-spanking-shiny-new '65 Ludwigs 45 years later! :D
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Great story Duke..thanks for sharing that..and you still have the drum set..wow!!
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

I've been to see Los Straitjackets with the Pontani sisters a few times, but it's been at least 5 years. They're fun, and I gotta say...IMO the addition of a singer is a good thing.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Great song and video!

Duke, you missed a golden opportunity; she was trying to attract your attention and you missed an opportunity. . . . :lol:

Great story, by the way!

Has the look and sound of the stuff we used to listen to play during the 80s garage revival, minus the tattoos; most girls were still inkless in the late 80s, unless they had a tiny, discreet tiny rose or something similar tattooed on a cheek of their derriere, but that's another story. :twisted: :lol:
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I have to say that live, I prefer Los Straitjackets "unsung". I did enjoy when they toured with "Big Sandy" in support of their vocal album featuring some pretty good vocalists. Sandy covered a lot of ground very well.
I don't particularly care for Kaiser George, and while the Pontanis add some campiness, I could do without them too.
duke

Post by duke »

paologregorio wrote:Duke, you missed a golden opportunity; she was trying to attract your attention and you missed an opportunity. . . . :lol:
I must admit that I've wondered about it over the years! :oops:

But things worked out great! I met a wonderful girl not too long after that gig! We've been married more than 40 years...and she still puts up with my drums! :D

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”