New Traveling Wilburys cover

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi, I just posted my cover of "Handle With Care" on my website. It's on the "Misc. Covers" page. http://www.beatbyrd.com
I tried to go for all five vocal styles, with mixed results. Thanks to the guys at the last SoCal mini con for doing this song at the jam and bringing it to my attention. There are also a couple of TPATH covers on the same "Misc" page. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: New Traveling Wilburys cover

Post by cjj »

Nice! Great job, sounds pretty good...
Kermit... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: Just listened to a bunch of your other stuff - great work! :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Listening right now.

Tom, I can't remember if I've posted this before, but I downloaded all your covers and they are awesome! You really sound like Roger on the Byrds stuff, and Tom and Roy, etc on this one. Great job, keep it up!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Very nicely done, Tom !
You should seriously take the lead vocals on more tunes at the next So Cal MiniCon Jam :D :D :D
You got all five vocal parts on this one real good !
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Falsetto is, or seems to be to me at least, pretty hard to pull off. You do it very well.

JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

jimk wrote:Falsetto is, or seems to be to me at least, pretty hard to pull off. You do it very well.

JimK
Hi, First of all, thanks for all of the encouragement. I added a new Beach Boys song a couple of days ago and I'm getting a LOT of positive comments on it (Dance, Dance, Dance). I try and add a new song every 7 to 10 days. I still think that the 'Roy' voice has a real Kermit quality to it.

Thanks for the falsetto comment. This 'skill' came about from dealing with so many bands where the other guys were too insecure to sing falsetto. Between always having a female vocalist in the band and the song list (Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Chic, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Donna Summer, Blondie, Benatar, etc,,,,,), there was almost always a harmony part above the female vocalist's lead. So, it kind of just evolved to make the band sound better. I can sometimes do a convincing Grace Slick voice, so I may try an old Airplane song for laughs.

The frustrating thing is that I've lost half an octave on my high end due to age. OK, and maybe smoking for 46 years, too. I can't do "I Get Around" because there's an F (13th fret - high E string) that I can't reach anymore. Notes that were cakewalk years ago ain't there anymore. I can still get to C (8th fret), sometimes D, depending.

It sux getting old, but at least I'm stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Well done covers. They kept me enterteined for an hour ot two.

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”