Acoustic Bass Guitar

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

marc61

Acoustic Bass Guitar

Post by marc61 »

I'm looking to buy one.

Thing is, I need something inexpensive that can jam with an acoustic volume wise.

Any good experiences or recommendations?
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Acoustic Bass Guitar

Post by teb »

I've been watching and testing them for several years and generally find them pretty disappointing (especially the low E string) unless you go for big bucks. Surprisingly though, the Dean "Playmate" (yes, it's a really stupid name for a guitar) can sometimes be found for around $150 and if set up properly, they both sound and play quite decently. They seem to be as good as, and are often better than, anything else I've found under $500 or so.
Attachments
52f1bea3e55be28d761dcfa9cee639a4.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Dredging up an old thread...

So Mark, did you ever end up getting an acoustic bass?

Lately, I've been thinking about getting an acoustic, but not having any decent music stores near me, can't really go try 'em out. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on current models (all brands, not just Dean)...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Unplugged, most ABGs just can't compete with other instruments. Fun to mess around solo with but that's about it. Plugged in is of course a different story, and there are many great sounding ones.

I just bought a Kala U-Bass. Should be arriving tomorrow. 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I guess I should say that my main use would be just for messing around, practice, playing along with stuff when I don't want to (or can't) drag out the amps and such. So, acoustic volume isn't a huge concern.

Oh, and I'd like it full size/scale (33.25 inch would be perfect :roll: )...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
myrtbass

Post by myrtbass »

Good Day,Guys. I figured I might as well wade in on this topic as I bought an acoustic/electric bass a couple of years back. It's an Epiphone El Capitan. It's totally made of maple so it has a fairly bright sound.Although not loud acoustically ,it has a very nice on-board preamp with tuner.Shadow of Germany makes this preamp and you can make this bass sound like any bass out there. Very impressive for less than $400. Only one problem, they are no longer in production as of 2013 but I imagine there are some available in stores.Another thing, I changed the noisy(fingernoise) stock strings and put D'Addario half rounds on it . Big difference. I've owned mine about 3 years and no problems whatsoever. Anyway, I highly recommend this bass to anyone looking for a decent low priced acoustic. Roger.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I have a Carlo Robelli that's been surprisingly excellent and consistent for 10 years now. It was the top of the line (for a store brand) at the time. I'm not sure they offer the exact same model now. Then it was either $279 or $379, can't remember which.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

How much do you wanna spend CJ? The GC down the block has a few Ibanez, Fender, Washburn, and what looks like a Breedlove (for around $900), I can give them a whirl for you if you like (probably heading there anyway today).
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

sloop_john_b wrote:How much do you wanna spend CJ? The GC down the block has a few Ibanez, Fender, Washburn, and what looks like a Breedlove (for around $900), I can give them a whirl for you if you like (probably heading there anyway today).
Cool! Thanks for offering!
8) 8) 8)

Since it's just for messin' around, I'm hoping I can get away with something not terribly expensive, maybe keep it under $500-$600. But I'm really hesitant to go too cheap since I've usually found that I end up hating a cheap instrument and have to get something better.

I suppose if it's got a decent tone and the neck's not too huge (it'd be nice if it was Rick-like, but that may be asking WAY too much), it would do the job. Getting your opinion might at least narrow it down and throw out the really horrid ones.

I'm heading up to Missoula next week and may have time to hit a few stores there. Nothing like a GC there (nearest one's in Boise, 400 miles away), but there are 3 or 4 mom & pop shops there...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I think you can find something very nice in that price range. The $200-ish ones all seem to suffer from these strange dead spots on the fretboard. It could be the result of cheap strings from the factory, but could certainly be uneven fretwork too. Just something to watch for on these.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

The Kala U-Basses are pretty cool. Excellent tone for such a small design. Even the B strings of the 5 string models sound great.
I sometimes think about getting a fretless one.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

rickenbrother wrote:The Kala U-Basses are pretty cool. Excellent tone for such a small design. Even the B strings of the 5 string models sound great.
I only got to play one for about a minute, but it left an impression for sure! Mine should be waiting at home for me tonight. I can't wait!

CJ - didn't get to go today, sorry man! Hopefully tomorrow. :)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

sloop_john_b wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:The Kala U-Basses are pretty cool. Excellent tone for such a small design. Even the B strings of the 5 string models sound great.
I only got to play one for about a minute, but it left an impression for sure! Mine should be waiting at home for me tonight. I can't wait!
Thanks JB, throw more wood on the fire. I'm looking up where to find one right now! :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

LOL! Full review to come later, but people sure do seem to like them.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I sometimes think about getting a fretless one.
I'm just not sure I really want to go to such a short scale, I've never liked normal short scale basses, but who knows, maybe. I'd REALLY have to try one of those before I'd consider it.

I've been reading a lot of stuff about the Dean EABC Cutaway. People seem to like 'em, maybe because they've got a bigger body than most. Price is cheap too, which makes me wonder if it's really any good. If you get a chance to play one of those, John, I'd love to hear what you think...

Return to “The Low End”