JakeFest in SoCal during October...who's in?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paologregorio

Re: JakeFest in SoCal during October...who's in?

Post by paologregorio »

Yes, excellent point, Steve: No more than four chords; songs one can play intoxicated.

Jake; the songs one can play intoxicated rule does not require one to actually be intoxicated to play the song. Rather that is the standard laid down; if one were to attempt the song intoxicated, one would likely be able to faithfully perform the song without initiating a mid-song performance trainwreck.

Or, when the "songs one can play whilst intoxicated" standard is in place, the likelihood for potential mid-song performance trainwrecks diminishes significantly!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote:Yes, excellent point, Steve: No more than four chords; songs one can play intoxicated.

Jake; the songs one can play intoxicated rule does not require one to actually be intoxicated to play the song. Rather that is the standard laid down; if one were to attempt the song intoxicated, one would likely be able to faithfully perform the song without initiating a mid-song performance trainwreck.

Or, when the "songs one can play whilst intoxicated" standard is in place, the likelihood for potential mid-song performance trainwrecks diminishes significantly!

i think we're all getting rail-roaded on this !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Gee thanks Rich-you set me up. Now I'm gonna have to break out my Fuzz Tone for Satisfaction, work on The Last Time (I think I've played that in every band I've been in), and work on my harmonica chops for "Get Off My Cloud" (you're designated to remind me to tell my Hugh Hefner/Mick Jagger joke at the Confluence). As payback. I get to play my Tele or Esquire in 5-string, open "G" tuning on "Brown Sugar". That'll teach you!
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

paologregorio wrote:Yes, excellent point, Steve: No more than four chords; songs one can play intoxicated.

Paul,

I think Law School is starting to pay off!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Danotron wrote:

Paul,

I think Law School is starting to pay off!
:shock: Sure seems like it! :lol:
collin

Post by collin »

elreydlp wrote:I'm out for October 22-Anniversary-but the 15th is cool.
Paul-check out "The Starting Gate" in Los Alamitos. They have a large room, nice stage, and let us use it free for the Surfguitar101 Convention the last two years. I'll ask Jeff who handled it for details. It may be a while, as I expect he will be sleeping for about a week to recover.
Skip

From what I can recall, the Starting Gate is a 21+ bar, right? That might be no bueno, especially for the guest of honour.

ps.....totally ****** that I missed the convention too (with, along with the Santa Monica Guitar show, makes two great events I missed this weekend). :evil:
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

There were plenty of "under 18's" in attendance at SG101-everything from infants to teenagers. In fact, the teenage son of a band member won the drawing for a G & L SC-2.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I wonder if there's a house P.A. . .. :)
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

There were house PA Speakers hanging from the ceiling, but SG101 supplied their own amp, mixer, and speakers. I'll inquire.
You can see the stage in my posting under "Instrumental as Anything"
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Like I've said guys, If I am home, I'd love to attend. I'll keep an eye on this. With fingers crossed, Mark
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I was wondering lately if there was going to be a SoCal confluence...work has slowed down considerably (only 15 hr. O.T. per week!) and I'm itchin' to jam!

A Jake Fest works for me.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

shamustwin wrote:A Jake Fest works for me.
It's basically me at a SoCal jam.

Paul, do we have a tally on what to play and who's coming? (for sure, maybe and not likely at all)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

JakeK wrote:
shamustwin wrote:A Jake Fest works for me.
It's basically me at a SoCal jam.

Paul, do we have a tally on what to play and who's coming? (for sure, maybe and not likely at all)
Uh, we don't even have a DATE nailed down, but it looks like Saturday, October 16th.

The Yeas so far appear to be:
Collin Whitley
Dan Saifer
Gary Clauson
Joey Vasco
Rich Ferguson
Skip Baker
Steve Forsgren

Maybes:
Jerry Juden
Mark Fleming
Me

Hmm, looks like it might be time to start talking to drummers to see who's available.

I know some of the guys from Scott Jehlik's band, Progkowsys, would like to come out and jam with us again as well. They asked at the last show I went to a few weeks back.

I'd like the attendance to be triple the number of names I see up here so far. I KNOW there are a lot of local, capable forum members who would have a good time at this event. Pipe in, people! a lot of folks bark about not being able to jam with other players; here's your chance! Skill level is not an impediment. Just show up and jam; we're trying to keep it simple.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

shamustwin wrote:I was wondering lately if there was going to be a SoCal confluence...work has slowed down considerably (only 15 hr. O.T. per week!) and I'm itchin' to jam!

A Jake Fest works for me.
Okay, I'll kind of let a paw of the cat out of a possible bag. I wanted and intended to help do what I could to have a summer SCARF. Unfortunately the problem with my foot has been unrelenting. I'd been house bound and pretty much disabled because of it. However it's starting to get better and I see an acupuncturist tomorrow...finally!!
Anyway...I still intended on getting the ball rolling for a SCARF '10 as long as there is enough interest. Since we've missed the chance at having SCARF in the usual month of August, I had figured on mid October. Maybe in October for a change, I won't feel like I need to take a shower right after hauling gear into a confluence venue with the usual intense heat...then again, the way summer is not going in SoCal, it might not get here until October!
One of the places that I've been looking into is a hall, which would be a nice place, the other place would be a super nice venue that was great suggestion by a Hall.

If there is a real SCARF '10 that's do-able in mid October, we'll figure out a way to incorporate Jake's name. Maybe JakenSCARF?! :mrgreen:

SCARF should not clash or overshadow the possible MARF. I'm assuming that they would be at least a month apart. Except for a few exceptions like Ross, people from coast to coast these past few years due to the economy anyway.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

"The Starting Gate" In Los Alamitos can accomodate a couple of hundred bodies, has AC and lots of ceiling fans, has a "back room" (for vendors, displaying collections, stageing gear, etc.), and most importantly for guys like me-starts serving breakfast with AWESOME Bloody Marys at 8:00 AM.
It's Freeway close to all of Southern California-and was free.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”