Beach Music

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Beach Music

Post by kenposurf »

Not to be confused with surf music (but sometimes is) Carolina Beach Music according to Wikapedia:
Beach music, also known as Carolina beach music, is a regional genre which developed from various musical styles of the forties, fifties and sixties. These styles ranged from big band swing instrumentals to the more raucous sounds of blues/jump blues, jazz, doo-wop, boogie, rhythm and blues, reggae, rockabilly and old-time rock and roll. Beach music is closely associated with the style of swing dance known as the shag, or the Carolina shag, which is also the official state dance of both North Carolina and South Carolina. Recordings with a 4/4 "blues shuffle" rhythmic structure and moderate-to-fast tempo are the most popular music for the shag, and the vast majority of the music in this genre fits that description.

Let's start with the seldom heard long version of the classic by Don Gardner and Dee Dee Ford:
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Re: Beach Music

Post by elreydlp »

Kenpo
You're in MY house now. No matter what else we played, we always made sure to have several "shag" tunes in our bag.
Here are a couple of biggies from the "Beach" genre.

The Swingin' Medallions from Greenwood, SC. Two bands I played in (The Pendeltons; Rhythm, Inc.) shared shows with them. They played the Prom my Senior Year. I "saved" their guitar player when his Super Reverb ******* out. I "just happened" to have my Bandmaster in the trunk of my car and let him use it.

The "Kings of the Beach"-The Tams! Listen to the lead vocal. When "The Letter" came out, we thought it was the Tams.

kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Beach Music

Post by kenposurf »

Great stuf Skip!
It's interesting that "Beach Music" covers several styles and as always there is some cross pollination going on The Don and Dee Dee song i posted was a hit in the Uk .."Northern Soul"

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”