johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Ok, Here it is!

Post by johnallg »

johneek wrote:
libratune wrote:
wim wrote::shock: winning bid : $10200 :shock:

somebody really really wanted a wider neck 12
Apparently there were two bidders who really, really wanted it. The next highest bidder was at $3920.

That extra .125 inch of nutwidth was worth $6K (along, of course, with the other unique goodies on this guitar)! Now there's something to leverage!

Introducing: the 360/12C63 SPC !
Very interesting bidding....sort of creeps up to just over $4K, then a jump to $10K....Why would anyone more than double an existing bid?
My guess - they really wanted it and wanted to eliminate the competition.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

johneek wrote:Very interesting bidding....sort of creeps up to just over $4K, then a jump to $10K....Why would anyone more than double an existing bid?
I suspect that each bidder figured they wouldn't have to pay more than $6500 or so for the guitar; so, as John said, they came in deliberately high to eliminate all possible competition.

Problem is, if there is more than one bidder thinking and behaving that way, the price can easily double in the closing seconds.

Same thing happened with the notorious "Shaded Green" 360 OS a few months ago. Bidding was in the high 4-digits until the closing seconds, when it went off at about $20K because two or more "dive bombers" struck.
billydlight

Post by billydlight »

The fact that ebay has made it impossible to leave bad feedback for a buyer, means that having an auction end like that and Actually getting paid are two different stories. Please let us know if the winning bidder backed out.
kelly

Post by kelly »

Really, you can't leave negative feedback for a non-paying buyer anymore? I didn't know that...nor do I particularly understand it. But eBay ain't what it used to be, that's for sure. Still you have to hand it to the good people at RIC for hitting a home run with this guitar. Another side benefit of seeing the auction end price is that I've become completely enamored with the word boggled. :D
eric_b
RIC

Post by eric_b »

jingle_jangle wrote:Amen to that. Now watch all of "those people" drown in sour grape juice...

Certainly more satisfying than getting a measly Grand out of a custom "one off" Rickenbacker Bass neck... :lol:
"It's not the obscene thick gloss, but how it's applied"
harrek

Post by harrek »

johnhall wrote:
harrek wrote:Great looking! Looking forward to other unique basses coming out as well.

You won't have long to wait!
Such a tease! :lol: But quite glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing more of Ricks new ideas / designs and future.
eric_b
RIC

Post by eric_b »

Shouldn't have to wait long! Got another one coming up soon..It has fewer strings though..We had to hire a blacksmith to put the pickups in too..What a PITA...Perhaps I've said too much....
"It's not the obscene thick gloss, but how it's applied"
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Looking forward to the new one already. It sounds like it's going to be a heavy metal bass. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
harrek

Post by harrek »

eric_b wrote:Shouldn't have to wait long! Got another one coming up soon..It has fewer strings though..We had to hire a blacksmith to put the pickups in too..What a PITA...Perhaps I've said too much....
Well if you ever get to needing a glass blower, send me a PM....but eyes wide open for any other new ones.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Really a crazy auction :shock: Somebody here got it ?
This might encourage the people at RIC to put such a model on their list for things to come ...
Looks like Craig was outbid this time , 10.191 wasn't enough :(
Anyhow... Craig, you have the nicest looking RIC I ever saw - that blue - black - red 360/12C63, that is the one !
My Laguna conversion wasn't that pricey, glad I did that :)
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

winston wrote:It sounds like it's going to be a heavy metal bass. :D
At least one horse shoe I guess. But since Ric knows how to handle one horseshoe themselves I suppose it has two. ;-)
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

berth wrote:
winston wrote:It sounds like it's going to be a heavy metal bass. :D
At least one horse shoe I guess. But since Ric knows how to handle one horseshoe themselves I suppose it has two. ;-)
The other one is bolted to the headstock... :mrgreen:

eden.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

you think something like this would fetch $10000 too? :shock:
Attachments
doublehshoe.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

eric_b wrote:..We had to hire a blacksmith to put the pickups in too.....
Hmm.........
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

eric_b wrote:
jingle_jangle wrote:Amen to that. Now watch all of "those people" drown in sour grape juice...

Certainly more satisfying than getting a measly Grand out of a custom "one off" Rickenbacker Bass neck... :lol:
Don't forget the 10 hours' work @ $100/hour, Eric...

Return to “RIC Outlet One Offs: by Peter McCormack”