US V UK 15

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 15

Post by royclough »

Thanks to all who took part best reponse yet across the two forums I post it on, Mark Wynter took 61% of the vote on last one, so a UK win again.
Here's this week's. Major Lance took this to numer5 in USA in January 64 and in February took it to number 40 in UK.

In October 64 however Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders covered the song and went to number 5 in UK, did nothing in US.

nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Re: US V UK 15

Post by nick_allen »

My vote is for WF & the Mindbenders - basically because I prefer guitars to brass :)
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

This is a tough one for me, pitting one of my favorite soul singers against a UK group that I've always felt was underrated. Making it it tougher still is the fact that Curtis Mayfield handled all the production and arrangements for Major Lance. I'm going to go with the Mindbenders because I thought the guitar line sounds very unique, not just a straight copy of the brass part on the Major Lance version. Both tracks are great though, and I could happily listen to either one... :D
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

I like both.. but prefer the backing music of Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders' version and I like Wayne's voice... then and now!

As a teenager I liked the group and their songs and I saw them together a couple of times... I also saw The Mindbenders after they had split with Wayne and I loved their Groovy Kind of Love. I had a bit of a schoolgirl crush on Eric Stewart and I liked Wayne as well... especially his long floppy hair, so I'm going with Wayne Fontana's version... plus he still sings the song really well and can still hit the high notes and I'm looking forward to seeing him next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfUorj2A5Y4

Here they are at the NME show many moons ago... Wayne with his long floppy hair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkbfEK_o ... re=related

Thanks for keeping this up Roy... I look forward to seeing what our song choices are each Saturday!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes Jeff , Sylvia I prefer Wayne's version mainly becuse of the instrumental backing. Both versions vocally not much to choose between them.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Well, I sat down yesterday morning, heard a brief snippet of Wayne Fontana -- then had to dash to work. Though I would sit down later this weekend, and relax and enjoy the whole song, as I had not heard it before! Now it's gone. And at the exact weekend Roy posts it here!? :x I could tell, from the snippet that Wayne was going to get my vote! So, again, for me, it's the Brits! :-)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here's another Wayne clip then performing the song move slider to 2.18
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I give it to Major Lance for a better job of vocals, although Wayne's arrangement is hipper. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Thanks to those who played along, not many on here but 1 enough for me lol

Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders took 60% of the vote on this one so UK again.
I do concede tough that majority voting are from UK.

Keep this going till 20

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”