Cool Gretsch Gadgets!

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

fabandgear

Cool Gretsch Gadgets!

Post by fabandgear »

This add-on string mute was distributed by Gretsch years ago. I saw another one on eBay (complete with box and instructions) which I unfortunately passed on. I can't remember the exact name of this unit-either a Mansfield Mute or a Mitchell Mute, something like that. It works quite well, believe it or not. There is a foil sticker stating "Made In Italy" on the reverse side and the string muffler is a strip of white felt. If anyone remembers this item's proper name I'd sure appreciate knowing it!
Attachments
Gretsch Add-on Mute.jpg
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
fabandgear

Re: Cool Gretsch Gadgets!

Post by fabandgear »

Here's another neat Gretsch accessory-the Tone Twister. It came for a time on Gretsch's less expensive guitars back in the early '60s. They supposedly gave the player an aproximation of string vibrato. I've got three of these. This one (on my 6124 Anniversary) has "Patent Pending" on it. The other two (one is gold-plated) have patent numbers. These aren't really very functional vibratos, but they sure are great conversation pieces!
Attachments
Gretsch Tone Twister Closeup.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very interesting accessories, Forrest. Is there also a mute, perhaps this one would do, to mute the overtone harmonics sometimes produced on Gretsch guitars by strings resonating from behind some bridges? I hope this makes sense.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

admin wrote:Very interesting accessories, Forrest. Is there also a mute, perhaps this one would do, to mute the overtone harmonics sometimes produced on Gretsch guitars by strings resonating from behind some bridges? I hope this makes sense.
You're right, Peter, that can be an issue for Gretsch guitars whose neck angles have changed. Some of these older instruments, while still playable, are on the cusp of needing a neck reset. As the bridge height is lowered to compensate for this, those unwanted tones can become a problem. This mute would work nicely for that purpose as well.
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

The mute was made by Meazzi and called a Meazzi Stoppatore. They came on several models of Meazzi Hollywood guitars.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”