RIC Outlet 360 WB Wide Neck Gun Metal Blue

A discussion of RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: RIC Outlet 360 WB Wide Neck Gun Metal Blue

Post by libratune »

wittyair wrote:No Alex.......it's 12..........I think.
By my count, there have been at least 14 RIC Outlet one-offs on ebay -- 6 basses and 8 guitars.

Basses
1. 4003 Honeyglo BH BT
2. 4003 Red/Black Burst
3. 4003 Birdseye MG BH BT
4. 4003 Flamed MG BH BT
5. 4001C64 Blue/Black Burst
6. 1999 Tobacco Burst BH BT

Guitars
1. 360 MB/AFG Burst BH BT
2. 350V63 Metallic Purple
3. 360/12C63 Blue/Black Burst (Fireglo overspray)
4. 370-12 Amber Autumnglo
5. 660-12 Aqua Marine
6. 325C64 Burgundy BH BT
7. 360/12C63 Light Mocha Cream Wide Neck BH BT
8. 360 WB Gun Metal Blue Wide Neck BT

Craig may be thinking of the one-off auctions he has won . . . rather than the total number of RIC Outlet one-offs . . . :wink:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

libratune wrote:
eric_b wrote:This thing is a player..Nice neck, and Humbuckers, seriously, this baby can rock..I've heard it. Different, and unique, but undoubtedly Rickenbacker..
Has anyone had experience playing a 300-series Rick with humbuckers in both neck and bridge positions? I don't recall seeing a Rick semihollow built like that. My impression from players talking about humbuckers in the bridge position is that the tone is a bit darker than hi-gains or toasters.
I recently purchased a 330 with HB-1's (covered by toaster covers now) in the bridge and neck positions. It is now my favourite guitar in my Rickenbacker family. I can obtain a whole bunch of different sounding tones from this setup and let me just say that the bite and sustain when you want it are simply amazing. The tone is not at all dark btw.

Anyone who wants to hear what it sounds like PM me and give me your email address. I will send you a recording of one of my songs. I used the 330 for lead on the song in question.

Nice guitar Eric. I love DB models. :D
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

Yeah Ron, I was referring to mine......I only have 2 of the basses....the 4001C64 and the birdseye 4003.
I also didn't get the mocha cream but I got the rest of the guitars. We'll see about the gun metal blue.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

winston wrote:
libratune wrote:
eric_b wrote:This thing is a player..Nice neck, and Humbuckers, seriously, this baby can rock..I've heard it. Different, and unique, but undoubtedly Rickenbacker..
Has anyone had experience playing a 300-series Rick with humbuckers in both neck and bridge positions? I don't recall seeing a Rick semihollow built like that. My impression from players talking about humbuckers in the bridge position is that the tone is a bit darker than hi-gains or toasters.
I recently purchased a 330 with HB-1's (covered by toaster covers now) in the bridge and neck positions. It is now my favourite guitar in my Rickenbacker family. I can obtain a whole bunch of different sounding tones from this setup and let me just say that the bite and sustain when you want it are simply amazing. The tone is not at all dark btw.

Anyone who wants to hear what it sounds like PM me and give me your email address. I will send you a recording of one of my songs. I used the 330 for lead on the song in question.

Nice guitar Eric. I love DB models. :D
Amen to that!

I've had HB1s at various times in the bridge or both positions on various Ricks of mine. Most recently I had a bridge HB1 in my Blue Boy OS=WBBS=WB. The tone with the p/up was excellent, but that particular guitar was so resonant that I usually could not prevent the guitar from wanting to "squeal" feedback with the HB1 in it when I used my distortion pedal, even after packing the p/up rout with foam rubber, with rare exception. The guitar wanted to do that when I played it though my AC30s, as well as Doug's (Analog Pack Rat) Deluxe Reverb at BARC. It didn't seem to want to squeal when I played it through a Twin, but that's the only time, so I put a 12K toaster in the bridge with a ceramic bar magnet underneath to boost output a bit, left the foam packing in the p/up rout, and the guitar doesn't seem to squeal anymore. Can't figure that out.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I think it's neat that RIC does these one-offs and offers them to the public in this way, but I'd like to see just one of them getting gigged. I'm afraid these customs are all disappearing down a collectors "black hole never again to grace the night time sky".
clearblue
Intermediate Member

Post by clearblue »

aceonbass wrote:I think it's neat that RIC does these one-offs and offers them to the public in this way, but I'd like to see just one of them getting gigged. I'm afraid these customs are all disappearing down a collectors "black hole never again to grace the night time sky".
I'd have to agree with that.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Does anyone else notice that all (most), the one off's seem to have Black trim?
"Knowledge is Power"
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

aceonbass wrote:I think it's neat that RIC does these one-offs and offers them to the public in this way, but I'd like to see just one of them getting gigged. I'm afraid these customs are all disappearing down a collectors "black hole never again to grace the night time sky".
Well, if I get ahold of one. . . :twisted: :lol:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Paul,

I elminated any squeal by cutting the gain setting on my 212 Peavey Stereo Chorus amp down to half of what it is set at for my other guitars. HB-1's don't seem to perform well with any sort of outboard distortion pedal either. I don't use pedals as a rule so that does not bother me at all. So far two people have asked to listen to the song that I mentioned. Perhaps after they have heard the song in question they can comment on the tone of the lead solo.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

winston wrote:Paul,

I elminated any squeal by cutting the gain setting on my 212 Peavey Stereo Chorus amp down to half of what it is set at for my other guitars. HB-1's don't seem to perform well with any sort of outboard distortion pedal either. I don't use pedals as a rule so that does not bother me at all. So far two people have asked to listen to the song that I mentioned. Perhaps after they have heard the song in question they can comment on the tone of the lead solo.
I asked Brian to send me his tune, which he graciously provided. Here's my comment on the tone of the 330 with HB-1 that he used for lhe lead:

"Nice tone out of that HB-1. I know it's the obvious thing to say, but it does remind me of Steppenwolf/John Kay and his 381 with humbucker.

I think that is a great lead tone and I would never have guessed it was from a Rick if you hadn't told me. It is a very interesting tone achieved without pedals. It is like a Keef Tele tone with a semihollow cast to it. Well done!"

Thanks, Brian. I'm an HB-1 believer!
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I love the concept of this model...a 21-fret 360 with modern hardware! Great job, RIC.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

KEEP...THAT...COLOR!!!
wittyair

Post by wittyair »

How does one know that these never get gigged??
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

wittyair wrote:How does one know that these never get gigged??
Occasionally the owners of these instruments talk about them here. That talk usually mentions having added yet another instrument to their collection, or how they can't describe it's sound because it hasn't been plugged into an amp yet. Seems like the first think you'd do if you could actually play the instrument is plug it in.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

wittyair wrote:How does one know that these never get gigged??
I dunno. . . do you gig your one-offs? :lol: :lol: :wink:

I don't have a collection, I have a clunkollection, because I gig mine, and they get a few dings here and there. :D

Return to “RIC Outlet One Offs: by Peter McCormack”