Gloria, Shadows of Night

Discussing 60s and 70s Garage Band Music
rictified

Gloria, Shadows of Night

Post by rictified »

Another classic garage rock tune: Gloria by The Shadows of Knight which was THE hit here in the states,.... Van Morrison, Them? Nope their version was an afterthought here in the states until way after the Shadows version, then we had a little revisionist history going and by now all you hear is the Them version on the radio even though it never did anything over here.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Gloria, Shadows of Night

Post by libratune »

Good audio. Did they ever make it on to Shindig with Bobby Sherman?

I'm back in 1966!
duke

Post by duke »

Great old garage tune! I think it was a must-play song for most garage bands of the time. One of the bands I was in, Sound Drone (unfortunate, but accurate name as all we did was drone), played it. Gloria (Shadows of Night version) was about the only song we played that sort of sounded like it was supposed to sound ... and people actually nodded their approval in our direction! :D
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's Shadows of Knight, guys. Supposed to be a name pun on their high school football team, the Knights.

These guys were from Mount Prospect and Arlington Heights, Illinois (NW Chicago suburbs) and were one of the top Chicago bands in '66. I was briefly in a band with their original bassist back in '68.

Their version of Gloria became the one most often played on radio; Van's much rawer and more spontaneous version sort of got lost there for awhile.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Both cool but I always like Them's version the best
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

There's no telling how many times I've heard Gloria as I was dating a Gloria about the time the song came out.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “2 Car Garage: by Admin”