Any vinyl fanatics out there?

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

marc61

Any vinyl fanatics out there?

Post by marc61 »

As many of you know, my son has become a vinyl fanatic. In fact he rarely listens to CDs or digital recordings unless he has to.

Just wondering how many of you folk are also currently addicted to vinyl, and what do you do about it?
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Re: Any vinyl fanatics out there?

Post by Danotron »

I'm into the Vinyl and have LOTS of it.

I became the recipient of a lot of my friends collections when they switched to CD's and iPods, usually when they were moving.

I also find it at garage sales and Swap meets when I go.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Yep..at one point opened a record store for a few years..go out every weekend looking for more!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

In preparation for moving, I donated most of my vinyl collection. I kept about 75 of my favorite LP's. Just last night Shana and I listened to Bill Cosby's "Why Is There Air?" record. Hilarious stuff.

Cryin' Charlie had the coolest cry, man, wouldn't make a sound, he'd just open his mouth and the tears would roll down... :lol:
rictified

Post by rictified »

I don't know if I can say I'm an addict, I do like the sound of records better than CD's though and have a good turntable, a 70's Thorens TDK-150 (something or other). If I want something I think will really sound better on an LP, music with a lot of detail for example I'll get the record, if I want conveyance I'll get the CD. I've bought mostly CD's lately though because I do a lot of listening in my car but I know I'll swing back to LP's sooner or later.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

We've had a few threads that touched on this topic. This month in The Absolute Sound is their annual Analogue Edition, with turntable and phonostage reviews and other analogue stuff.

Yep--I've been spinning vinyl in earnest, for the second time, since about 1995, when I bought a linear tracking B&O Beogram to play my old albums. It's at my place in Brasil now, with about 400 of my original albums. But when we moved into our "new" house back in '08, it came with over 300 LPs--all original--in absolutely mint condition. The previous owner, who passed on at 90+ years old, was an engineer who was really "into" audio. So, among other things we've got perfect copies of everything Sinatra recorded on LP and other stuff fron the '50s and 60s--lots of original cast recordings or Broadway stuff (My Fair Lady, South Pacific, Flower Drum Song, etc.), and other light pop stuff like Mr. Acker Bilk, Brothers Four, and that totally schlocky Jackie Gleason series of "Music for (pasta?) Lovers".

Additionally, we picked up a lot from Village Music before they closed for good, and have been buying new stuff as it becomes available from Analogue Sounds, which stocks everything you could want for analog playback.

So the turntable is still the venerable Transcriptors Skeleton with its wonderfully odd Vestigal tone arm, handbuilt in Northern Ireland in '77. Cartridges are switched out occasionally, and currently we've got a Sumiko Blackbird which is a good match for the table. Cabling is mostly Mapleshade, amp and preamp are tube (straight wire, so-called, with no tone controls or effects) and speakers the Gallo References I picked up four years ago. It's a nice smaller system and I've got no desire to change anything at this point (we play CDs on it to, with a Rega Saturn player).

My shop's got a Thorens from '69--which I never use, it turns out, as there's too much dust in that small space--a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers, and a Sansui amp which is standing in for the '62 Scott, which is being re-tubed. We use it to play Sirius satellite radio, generally the Spectrum.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I have all the Beatles' US LPs on vinyl, as well as Tom Petty's remastered "Official Live Bootleg", The Who's "Who Are You", Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, a Tina Turner album and Rolling Stones' "Some Girls". Problem is, I have no turntable to play any of these! I usually do CDs and iPods because I can play them!
rictified

Post by rictified »

I run my Thorens through a Marantz 2385 receiver, it's one of the late 70's super powered receivers, 220W RMS per channel continuous into 4 ohms. I use two pairs of Large Advents for it, lots of bass which I like.
I've got a Shure cartridge on mine, supposed to be a direct replacement for a Pickering V-15, don't know about that but it sounds good. I've had tube equipment in the past including Dynaco Stereo 70's Dynaco Mark III's and McIntosh MC-30's with Dynaco PAS-3 preamps(?) I had an old Mac aural exciter with a MC-30, wish I had kept that. The Marantz has a nice natural sound in it though, there's no IC's in that baby. I've also ownwed scott tube stereo equipment in the past. I'd like to eventually own an MC-275 or better yet two MC-75's.
I have most of The Beatles stuff on LP, including the three triple LP anthology series LP's. The LP I use to show off the system's sound vs CD's is Sonny Rollin's The Bridge from 1961, I have a new copy of course. There's something about the LP that just makes them sound like they're right in the room. I have almost everything the stones recorded on LP, lots of rock and jazz.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I used to own a record store

elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I love when my wife puts on her vinyl boots, miniskirt, and bustier-oh, you don' mean THAT kind of vinyl addiction.
Sorry
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

We have a pizza shop in our area that has an old valve Hi-fi that always has a record spinning. I found with vinyl that it matters little what you are listening to it still has a soothing effect. You really can put on a rubbish record and fully enjoy it!

As a Vinyl footnote: My Dad played bass on Rolf Harris's first single (a rough version of Six White Boomers) It took me ages to find a copy on Ebay...

emac.
rictified

Post by rictified »

weemac wrote:We have a pizza shop in our area that has an old valve Hi-fi that always has a record spinning. I found with vinyl that it matters little what you are listening to it still has a soothing effect. You really can put on a rubbish record and fully enjoy it!

As a Vinyl footnote: My Dad played bass on Rolf Harris's first single (a rough version of Six White Boomers) It took me ages to find a copy on Ebay...

emac.
I've always loved Tie Me Kangaroo down sport, I had no idea what he was talking about though, haha!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

i prefer lp records to cd. i have a lot of stuff not yet avaiable or has different versions of songs than the public releases so they may not see cd release. i just copy them over to cd so i don't add more bacon and eggs to my records by playing them too much. my cd will sound more full than the store copy as it was not remastered for cd use. a cool example was to replace in the live songs from u.K. night after night into danger money for a more powerful recording. try it !
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

I have about 500-600 vinyl LPs, a full Beatle catalog (US and UK/international), most of Dylan, Airplane, Tuna, Dead, Moody Blues, Who, Hendrix, Yes, ELP, all sorts of 60s oddities (Vanilla Fudge, Shocking Blue, Electric Prunes, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Spirit, etc...). Problem is that I got many of these back when I had no money for a great turntable/cartridge (and wasn't going to get one in college where idiots would ruin it), so many of them are helplessly pop and click-riddled.

Still, I managed to get a decent Sony turntable to use so I can play them to this day. Some of my stuff will never be put out on CD.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?

Return to “Trivia”