Celebrate Gene Clark's B Day

Those who flock to The Byrds
jimk
RRF Consultant

Celebrate Gene Clark's B Day

Post by jimk »

Gene Clark was born on Nov. 17, 1941. John Rose will be celebrating by playing lots of Gene's music on his show Monday, from 12-4 PM CST [USA time] at http://uicradio.org Tune in if you can.

JimK
vynesmusic

Re: Celebrate Gene Clark's B Day

Post by vynesmusic »

Tomorrow's the day, and I thank you Jim, for reminding us.....I've spent a lotta time recently with Gene.....in Studio Z....channeling, I guess :lol:

Googled Gene and got onto a site that shows his grave site.....Jimmy Webb wrote a song about the music biz...."The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"......she's apparently a killer, too.... :roll:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
janglebox

Re: Celebrate Gene Clark's B Day

Post by janglebox »

A brief reappraisal of Gene Clark:

Although his excesses, phobias and stage fright were legend, when you look at his many live shows on youtube it's hard to reconcile those terrific performances with his "troubled artist" reputation. In no way do I mean to contradict the many artists who knew Gene so well and struggled working with him, or the trustworthy journalists (John Einarson in particular) who've written about his issues. But there's ample evidence that when he was in the right setting or right frame of mind, he could really deliver on stage.

Also, the early-Byrd stories about Gene's and Roger McGuinn's voices being too alike to harmonize effective are totally belied by their Bottom Line performances ca. 1977-78 (available at Wolfgang's Vault). Just listen to Gene sing the high part on the bridge of Chestnut Mare… unbelievably beautiful.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”