"Punk style" outside music?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

"Punk style" outside music?

Post by sowhat »

And i don't mean clothes and that sort of think. Are/were there punk plays/theatrical acts, movies ("Sid and Nancy" springs to mind, but is it a "punk movie" or just a movie about punks or how the director was seeing punks), books, etc? Does "black comedy" have something in common with punk or is it just me (as i dearly love both)?
As always, all kinds of thoughts are welcome.
Best wishes,
SC.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
paologregorio

Re: "Punk style" outside music?

Post by paologregorio »

Repo Man
Salt Lake City Punk
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

For books, try:

American Hardcore
Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag
Our Band Could Be Your Life

Movies:

American Hardcore
The Decline of Western Civilization
Suburbia
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Our Band Could be Your Life is an excellent read, particularly if you have been in an indie band.
Hard Core Logo is one of my all time favourite films. It's about a fictional Vancouver band. I strongly identified with many of the scenes of touring Western Canada. :D The book is on my coffee table, I'm just waiting for my wife to finish it before I pick it up.
HCL (the movie) was made by Bruce McDonald, who made a trilogy of punk rock road movies: Roadkill (featuring a cameo by Joey Ramone), Highway 61 and Hard Core Logo.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

"Punk" has many definitions to a lot of different people. I wrotes a lil' diddy bout it!
I lifted the line "safe for the freeway" from Watt from the Minutemen (Our band could be your life)"makin the freeway safe for the freeway" So Watt!! uh oh Im gettin' into pun vortex, over and out!!!
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

there's Dudes starring John Cryer, Flea and Lee Ving (of FEAR)
URGH! A Music War is the all encompassing punk-alt-wave movie of the early '80s spanning everyone from the Cramps to Pere Ubu to the Go Gos
Repo Man and Suburbia have been mentioned, but with Suburbia make sure to get the one from 1983 NOT 1996, two different films entirely :wink:
I'd say Rock & Roll High School as it's punk in attitude although Johnny Ramone himself questioned why everyone insisted that the Ramones were a "punk" band.
There is a newer movie called"This Is England" that focused on the trials and tribulations of a group of "Trad" ( non racist, ska loving) Skinheads and their separation as one of them became involved in the National Front , later a 4 part made for TV series called "This Is England '86 " picked back up on the characters 3 years down the road. both are wonderful.
"The Filth And The Fury" chronicles the rise and fall of the Sex Pistols and "Control" is a film about Ian Curtis and Joy Division. 24 Hour Party People tells the story of the Manchester scene and Factory records from the disenchanted 1978 sounds of Cabaret Voltaire to the ecstasy fueled rave notions of the Happy Mondays.
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

My definition of a punk rocker is someone who played punk rock, beginning in the 1970's. Anyone else claiming to be a 'punk rocker', I call a punk poseur, or 'post-punk'.
Rickenbacker player since 1978

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”